On The Run

He was shaking beside me, not daring to look up and get into another argument. I made up my mind and he knew that.

We had discussed it for a while. Echo decided not to see his family before we left. To make it easier on them, we went to his house and collected his things before they got home.

He room was out of the ordinary. Posters were strung along the wall , and pictures of bands and shows from centuries ago lined them. He had other strange items as scattered across every surface, and his room acted as a large time capsule.

Hwwas quick, only grabbing the things he would need and throwing them into a duffel bag. I let him work, quietly observing the trinkets scattered around the small space. I would occasionally ask what something was, and he would respond with more unknown words.

After a few minutes, Echo walked over to me and told me he was going to change into something more comfortable for the long ride. Who knew if we would even make it for a long ride?

He reached for the hem of his shirt, causing me to grab his wrist and speak.
"No, do it in the bathroom. I'll bring your bags out to the car" I choked out. I couldn't handle seeing that. My emotions still had to stay buried.

He blushed, but escaped into the bathroom regardless. Grabbing his bag, I ran down the stairs and out to the car, placing his bag next to mine. I always kept the necessities with me, knowing something like this could happen. It's not like my family would care, they already thought I was a nuisance. 

Echo was by my side soon. I could see the excitement shining in his eyes, but it was covered with fear. Fear of losing his family, fear of losing himself, of losing everything. He wasn't good at hiding things.

Forcing myself to look away, I got in the car and told him to do the same.

"We're going the store to get food. I don't know how long this ride will take or where we're going so please bare with me." I sounded desperate, but he only nodded.

I started the car and pulled onto the empty road, occasionally glancing at Echo. He had his head against the window and was playing with the hem of his sweater. His eyes were closed, but I knew he was awake.

"Alex?" He mumbled. I looked at him and he continued speaking. "Thank you," Why was he thanking me? He never wanted to leave.

"For what?" I asked, voicing my thoughts. "For helping me. I know if I did stay, I would have been killed. You don't even know me and you're taking me with you for some reason. And you seem like the person who-" I cut him off. "I get it. You're welcome Echo. I wouldn't let you stay here even if I had to drag you away."

He flushed crimson and looked out the window again. A small smile found its way to my face and I pulled into the grocery store parking lot. Echo was unbuckling his seat as I hopped out of the car. No one seemed fazed about the announcement just hours before, but if they were scared, they hid it well.

That was when our adventure truly began.

How'd you guys like this chapter? Personally this was one of my favorite ones I've posted.
~Danielle

Vote and comment if you're enjoying the story for more updates.