A Broken Scream

Alex
Echo was now 16. He sat beside me in history.

We were mocked and taunted, blamed for the downfall of our country hundreds of years ago. I stared at the board, which illuminated the dark classroom. Of course everyone had some emotions, but they were more rare and less severe then the ones Echo showed.

From the side of my eye, I saw him pull his sweater over the bottom of his face. I knew why he was doing it, his lip started wobbling when he was about to cry. He was crying because he wasn't normal. He knew it, I knew it, we all knew it. He believed he was like those who ruined us before. But he wasn't. I wasn't.

I was like him too. I knew of my emotions, but I had to hide them. He wasn't able to. Echo was understood. I never was. I wasn't aloud to feel anything.

"Alex, eyes up here"
Mr. Laken shook me from my trance, his monotone voice ringing in my ears.
Instead of following his direction, I slowly stood up and approached Echo. He glanced up at me, letting his shirt fall from his lips. No one said a word as I grasped his wrist, pulling him out of his seat.

My legs moved on their own as I made my way to the door, before turning back. Echo was terrified, and he shook in my hand, but he said nothing and didn't pull away.

Not sure of what I was doing, I continued walking until I met my car, Echo's smaller body beside me. Some people thought him being small had to do with his emotions, which I never understood.

The tug of his hands on my sweatshirt broke my thoughts, and I turned towards him. He was still scared, and I knew he was trying to hide it but he was failing. Turning back to face the car, I unlocked it and told him to get in. He didn't move.

"Please" I said, softer this time. He shuffled, but still stood where he was.
Without thinking much of it, I picked him up and sat him in the car.

"What are you doing?" He whispered.

"Taking you home" I replied, closing the door.

"But I don't know you." He mumbled as I opened the door on my side.

"Not yet" I replied, to quiet for him to hear.