Showers

Alex's P.O.V

The sun was setting as we rode down the highway. Echo fell asleep a while ago, so I was alone with my thoughts as I watched the road.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't seem to keep him safe. He was always getting hurt.

Pulling over at a rest stop, I leaned over and shook Echo's shoulders. We needed some more food and a warm shower.

"Wake up, Echo." He gave an adorable grumble and lifted his head, rubbing his eyes with closed fists. "Did you have a good nap?" I asked with a smile. He gave a small grin and nodded, unbuckling his seatbelt and hopping out of the truck.

"Where are we?" He asked, grabbing my arm. It was cute, something a child would do. "I think it was called Utah. It's about 5 hours away from home" He nodded and pulled me along into the building.

"You can go take a shower. We need to be quick so I'll take one at the next stop." I turned to walk away but he pulled me back.

Looking up through his lashes, he spoke. "Or...we could just take one together." My eyes widened as panic set in on his face. "Wait, neverm-mind. I'm sorry." He turned to walk, or run, into the bathroom but I grabbed him and spun him towards me.

"I would be honored." I mumbled, causing Echo to blush. We began walking towards the bathroom together, after I'd picked up his discarded bag.

Opening the door to the washroom, I locked it and went over to the shower. Turning on the warm water, I looked back at Echo.

"Do you intend on showering with your clothes on?" I asked, pulling my shirt over my head. He gave a stiff nod and reached for the hem of his sweater. Hesitantly, he lifted it.

My clothes fell from my hand when I saw his stomach. Cuts, bruises, burn scars, and stitches all littered the pale skin.

Dropping to my knees, I fully removed the article of clothing. His eyes were glassy, but he remained silent. "Who was it?" My fingers traced some of the marks, causing Echo to shiver. He said nothing, so I placed my lips on his torso and kissed the longer scars. Then the shorter one. All of them. Goosebumps broke out on his body and he finally spoke.

"My parents."