Chapter Four: Picking at Bones

Alexan PoV

I gave a long sigh of frustration that bordered upon becoming an irate groan. I swung my sword in random strokes through the air, trying to rage out my annoyance. It's been a hard fight, and I wasn't winning as much as I would like. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't as one-sided as I was used to it being. Then again, I was versing Fredrik. We were rather evenly matched. But the bouts we've been having recently were no longer the friendly, playful games. He's been fighting me as if he wanted to seriously injure me. Or kill me.

His green eyes were flared with an unfamiliar burning emotion, his mouth was set tightly and his broad figure was taunt like a wild beast readied to hunt its prey. Sweat glistened half as much upon his bared chest than it did on mine. I was much more breathless and fought to brush off the ache of bruising that was forming under my skin. I'll be black and blue tomorrow, if not tonight. As he circled around me, I gave him a dark glare. I shook my head in bewilderment when he wasn't looking. What was wrong with him?

I barely had enough time to gather my thoughts before he fired down a string of rapid blows, I almost stumbled under the hard strikes of steel. He smashed the hilt of his sword across my jaw in a brutal hit that crashed me to stone floor. I spat the pooling blood from my mouth. My head spun, and my eyes wavered, I tried to shake the unsettling feeling off.

"Alex!" A familiar booming voice echoed upon the air, everyone in the courtyard silenced in fear. I tried to focus my gaze upon my sire. On such a sunny, warm day he was unusually dressed casually. Wearing loose fitted tunic and pantaloons in trivially earthly colours that blended well to his golden embellishments of trinkets and his blinding crown. I stumbled in an unbalanced attempt to rise from the ground. I jerked in startlement as I felt gently, but very firm, hands clasped around my arms, pulling me up. The vision of my bride-to-be's furrowed face blurred into my line of vision. Somehow her soft touch massaged my head back into clarity. "Alex!" My father said again. He stormed up to me, I felt withered when my white-haired helper moved from me. "What did I just see?" He demanded.

I lowered my gaze to my booted feet. He's disappointed with me, of course he was. "Fredrik fights like a God today." I explained in a slur. I heard a scoff of disagreement from my betrothed. All three of us turned to glance at her amused features. It might have been the fresh blood rushing to my head but right now, I thought she was the most stunning creature on this planet.

Her long, pale hair hung loose, tiny braids decorated throughout that crinkled mane. Her eyes were a dark shade of blue, almost the black she was named from. They were darkened with black kohl smudge around her eyes. Her ears were glittered with gold, and a tiny ring was in the pierced hole of her nose. Her arms were bare as she wore a brownish crocodile skin bodice that laced at the back and reached her waist. Her cotton, brown skirt began a short distance from where her bodice ended, leaving a slight slither of skin bared to haunt me. A wide belt fastened the waist of her skirt; it was decorated with a traditional looking emblem as a buckle. Even though her skirts hid her feet I knew she wore boots. She muttered something under her breath, and glanced over at Fredrik. He watched like a ramped bull. If he was such a beast, I was sure the evidence of his enchantment with her would show as boldly as any breeding stud.

I walked carefully up to her, nodding in acknowledgement. Her amusement dampened but she greeted me in a soft murmur nonetheless. I noted that she looked rather mildly displeased at my appearance. I lowered my gaze, feeling like I was just a weak sapling. How humiliating to be so down played in front of her. In front of Father. I didn't even want to glance to catch his expression. "I had you a ring made. I'll give it to you on the day perhaps. I put thought into it, so I hope you find in agreeable." I pushed myself to say.

At this she smiled, it was small and a little saddened. "I'm sure I'll like it, my liege." She began pulling her hair back, separating in in sections before strategically braiding each part. Tugging it all in one direction down her back in a decorative crump. Everyone just watched her, it was like her every move was the most impressive, fascinating spectacle ever imagined. "Can I hold your sword for a moment, prince?"