Chapter Twenty-Three; Promises Laid Bare

Hey awesome people!!!! Thank you for being patient with me, this chapter has been done for a couple of weeks but I've had so much trouble uploading and saving it! It's been a disaster! So happy you guys can finally read and enjoy it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Alexan PoV

Confusion and shock held my mind scattered and lagging like vision in a blinding lighting storm. A world filled with sudden commotion of people in white, the sight of blood drops and liquid, and the ongoing echo of screaming. My fingertips felt cold, and my body numb; I had no idea how I came from my tent to standing inside a Viking home nearby, somehow dressed and surrounded by women. Very temperamental women. Bellatrix cradled Rekker to her, arguing with one girl to the next, seeming to grow more and more flustered. In a dreamlike trance, I couldn't register reality. I took in my mother-in-law's bothered glances my way, knowing that I have to move, do something, but my body couldn't move. My mind couldn't think.

The trance ended as a door was slammed open, and what appeared to be a nurse-hand came rushing out cupping her heavily bleeding nose. "I can't deal with her, your majesty!" She muffled behind her hand, gratefully taking a cloth. "She refuses to co-operate!" Bella just rolled her eyes, storming into the room, I quickly followed in before the door closed and anyone could stop me.

The sound of Nyx screaming -in anger or pain, I wasn't sure- was the first thing that hit my ears. It took me a moment to fully understand the scene in front of me, I could barely see Nyx with all the women surrounding her, but I could apprehend the current issue. Mirrors. The room had mirrors, too many chances for reflection. An outsider wouldn't understand, but I knew well the superstition surrounding the ill tainting of a newborn seeing their reflection before their six months or even a year old. Tremendous bad luck and misfortunate tragedy. I was quick to turn around or cover every mirror, taking them away from any areas that they might be seen and piling them in a forsaken corner. My wife quieted, but still reeved and moaned in agony with every contraption. Our eyes met for a moment before nurses started picking and poking at her, a known disaster in itself to pester my wife. A smirk of amusement lit my lips. "Onyxia...." I warned as her fists clenched ready to strike at the nearest person. "Vinsamlegast veldu ekki vandræði." Please don't cause trouble. "Þeir eru að reyna að hjálpa." They are trying to help. The sudden change of language spoken in the room made them all pause and face me. My amusement fled with the overbearing weight of being a stranger in a strange land. I wasn't welcome here, they made it clear that I was an outsider to them.

Except my wife, who took it upon herself to kick one woman away in her distraction. "Þeir eru ekki að reyna að hjálpa!" They're not trying to help! She snapped, pain reddening her eyes. She looked visible incapable; thin and trembling under the pressure our child was causing. But I knew my wife was strong. Very strong. Her anger turned pleading she looked achingly at me, "Ég vil ekki fæða hér, þau gera mig að vera hér. Ég vil vatn. Ég eins og vatn." I don't want to give birth here, they're making me stay here. I want water. I like water. I frowned at her for a second, surprised that she was generally afraid.

In the corner of my eye, I took in Bella's face. To my best ability I tried to ignore it. I didn't want to be the cause of that look, not even at the start of all this. I didn't want to carry the guilt that I had robbed a mother of her daughter. That is what she looked like. The coming of reality on her features. She couldn't ignore that we had married, consummated that marriage, that our child was coming to this world. But I think it was the sound of my native tongue leaving Onyxia's lips that was the end of her. The change that she wasn't her little girl anymore, she was my queen of my people. In Nyx's time of need she reached to me over her own mother, and Bella was heartbroken over it.