Chapter Ten: Interrogated

Emery PoV

Losing my patience I lifted my son up on to my hip, it was no use having him dragging upon my skirts trying to keep up with my hurried pace. The heels of my shoes clacked as I stormed quickly, I needed to get to her before he did. It was barely a moment ago when I came across yelling in my father's chambers, only to have my brother storming out of there to go get his wife for father's company. He wanted to know what they hell happened yesterday, and Alex most likely wanted her to lie about certain things. To make it look like her fault, no doubt. My brother looked strange, his hair was wet and his clothes were damp and messy. No one had seen Onyxia at breakfast, nor Alexan. My brother had a short temper and a stubborn way of acting out; I was very concerned if she was alright or not. Everyone was in shock when my aunt, Indra, appeared in their place. I didn't even know she was coming! She appeared like an empress, in a regal yellow gown that draped around her like she was a creature of fae. Her brunette hair hung loose in rivers of great, silky curls down her back. She was as tall a woman as father, and had the curvaceous body women dreamed of. She was a woman the whole kingdom respected, an authoritarian whose wisdom many sought out. Intelligence shone in her hazel eyes. As soon as father summoned Alex down to talk to him, Indra marched herself up to check upon the princess.

I almost ran the rest of the way to her room. Bursting into the cold, spacious chambers, I placed my son upon the floor, giving him a slight push to move away from me. The pale-haired beauty stood in the centre of the room, putting on her undergarments. They were unusual; we didn't wear anything under our clothes. She pulled on what looked like a subligaculum, lacing it at the sides before binding an intricate working of cloth around her breasts. Her hair hung in damp clumps in their odd waves. I thought of my brother's own damp hair. He stood with his arms folded in the far corner, scowling at me and our aunt that was aiding Onyx into her off white gown and black apron dress. I hadn't missed the large amount of bruising upon her sides, nor the cuts upon her lip and head. She didn't move in her usual fluidness, instead moved in lifeless acts of emptiness. Her eyes had a dull indifference.

"Hurry up!" Came the sigh of impatience from the other side of the room.

Those dull eyes darkened and she turned to throw an apple from the fruit bowl at him. "Say that one more time, you bilge rat, I'll punch you in the face." She narrowed her eyes, "Or lower down." Sensing the warning he moved restlessly from the wall. "The volva will still whisper lies in his ear without me telling him the truth. It doesn't matter, husband, what I have to say." He rolled his eyes and came to stand at her side to lace the two sides of fabric of her apron dress together in their hoops. "Where I come from a free woman has just as many rights as men, and treated as equals. A woman can divorce a man anytime for any reason, don't forget that. I'll take your child with me if I'm carrying it." The three of us froze to gawk for a moment. Then our eyes connected, we all thought the same thing. If she leaves, unknown to be with child or without, she'd be killed. If she left and was spared, she'll raise the child to her ways and the kingdom will be absent an heir after my brothers. Although, there was a child born last year.... No, that would never happen. If it were known, the baby would be killed. I looked down at my son; he was the third in line. He'd be under threat if Onyx doesn't birth a son in this marriage. I gave my brother a meaningful look; he nodded in understanding but gave a helpless gesture.

"My child," My aunt said carefully, "you wouldn't think of divorcing....?" Her brows frowned in concern over hazel eyes.

Onyx shrugged, "My parents have spoken to me and to your king-your father, I mean- about it. They had put in our marriage contract that if by inability to become pregnant or I'm unable to adapt to this marriage or to each other, I'm able to divorce, King Husband here, after a year of marriage."