Chapter 19-Baby Steps

Kalea's POV

***Same Day at school; Lunch***

I haven't talked to Liam since he left me standing there in the hallway yesterday.

It doesn't matter anyways. By the looks of things, Liam had a success with Gillian and asking her.

I saw them holding hands walking to the cafeteria as I quickly looked away.

But she was staring at me and I could feel her eyes on me.

I peered over at them as she smirked at me. Liam didn't even see me.

I never understood what her problem was with me. I rolled my eyes as I walked away in the opposite direction as them.

There, I ran into Lizzie and Nathan fighting at his locker.

"You know what? You're overreacting Lizzie. This is stupid and I'm done. I bet there are now tons of girls waiting in line to be with me," he spat at her

"Hey!" I said interrupting.

"You are not allowed to speak to her that way!" I said stepping in between them.

"Kalea I can take care of myself," she started to say fiercely.

"I know that Liz, but I refuse to see any douche bag think he's allowed to talk to you like that."

I looked at Nathan.

"Now leave prick! We have nothing else to say to you."

"With pleasure," he said storming off.

"Kalea, I could've handled it!" she said with annoyance.

"I know, but you probably would've ripped his head off and ruined the boy worse than I did," I said as we both laughed.

"True. Thanks for being there though," she said giving me a hug.

"Hey what happened!" Josh said coming up behind us out of breath.

"Well I hope you're happy. Just say it Josh. You told me so!" Lizzie said with a sad sigh.

"Wait I'm confused. What's going on?" I jumped in.

"No Lizzie, I just wanted to warm you about him! I didn't want you hurt," Josh said reaching his arms out to her.

When did these two get so close?

"I'm still lost guys..." I said.

Lizzie looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Get with the program Kalea," she said with a slight laugh. Typical Liz.

"Earlier today, Josh warned me that Nathan was using me but I didn't believe him. Until I saw it with my own eyes..." she said.

"Oh Liz, I'm sorry. When did this happen?"

"Well during my free period, I was in the Garden since I only have three classes today on the block schedule..."

"Lizzie, to the point please?"

"Sorry, and then Josh told me how he was using me. I went back to the building and there he was all over another girl!" she struggled to say.

"So then you confronted him..."

"And he flipped! He even blamed it on me somehow," she said cutting me off.

"He's being a dick Lizzie. You don't have to have any contact with him anymore," I said in an attempt to comfort her.

"Lizzie, listen, I'm sorry for being so forward about it earlier. I was just trying to be a good friend to you," Josh piped up.

"Thank you Josh, but you don't need to apologize. You were being an amazing friend for telling me," Lizzie smiled as she hugged Josh.