Chapter 28- "You're what?"

Kalea's POV

"You're what...?" I stammered out ask the shocking words sank into my head.

"I'm...uhh...Kalea...I..." he stuttered, trying to find the words to say.

"You can't...you can't be serious right now..." I said starting to realize what he said.

Why now?  Is he trying to play a joke on me?  This isn't very funny.  He can't mean what he said, can he?  How can he say that to me?  He's not allowed to drop that on me as an excuse to get me back as a friend!

"I can't believe I just said that..." he said under his breath, shifting away from me, head hanging low.

I felt kind of bad for my reaction.  Maybe he's being serious?  Aren't those the words I've been wanting to hear since I first saw Liam?  Why does it not feel the way I wanted?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that in a mean way," I told him.

"No, I understand.  I totally bombed that on you.  If anything I'm sorry.  I just made things totally awkward," he replied.

"Just a little," I said letting out a weak laugh.

"Maybe I should just go..." I started to say.

"Wait, Kalea," he said grabbing my hand as I stood up.

I turned to face him, but made a mistake of looking into his vulnerable eyes.

"Please," he said, "all I wanted today was to get you back.  As a friend!  And by dropping this on you I feel like I lost you all over again.  If you leave, it proves that I have.  Just stay.  Let's talk.  I don't want things to stay weird between us."

"Fine," I said sitting back down, rubbing my hands together.

"Are you nervous?" he said.

"No, just a bit shaken up and..."

"There's this thing you do with your hands when your nervous.  You start to rub them together and you bite your lip," he said cutting me off.

I looked at him with a questioning glance.

"I know you like the back of my hand, and I bet you could say the same about me," he replied.

I guess I could.  I mean I've known him for so long, but I don't know that he rubs the back of his neck and pouts when he's nervous.

Well, maybe I do.

"You can't do this to me," I said under my breath.

"Do what?" he asked.

"This.  This whole best friend thing. I know you know everything about me and I know everything about you, but this can't happen Liam.  Did you hear my part of what I wanted to tell you?  I'm with Louis."

He grabbed my hands and I pulled back a little.

"Kalea, you can't ignore what this is between us.  I know                                          you remember what happened at the party too, before the whole...well ya know.  But doesn't that mean anything?" he asked.

I paused and sighed, not knowing how to answer.

"Yes, but so does Louis.  And right now, you need to give me the space with him, because I want to work things out with Louis and see where they go.  Nothing can happen here Liam."

"He doesn't deserve you," Liam said to himself, loud enough that I could hear.

"Maybe I really should go," I said standing up, getting angry,  "You can't even see what I've gone through because of you Liam.  So you have no right to say that he doesn't deserve me with the way you've treated me before.  So I'm sorry that I can't say I feel the same for you.  I don't know if anyone told you before because it seems like everyone knew except for you, but I did like you Liam.  I've always wanted that.  The words you said were what I have wanted for the longest time.  But I don't deserve that Liam.  You can't do that to me.  You can't just tell me you love me right when I get over you.  I can't be pulled back in.  I can't...I can't do this."