Chapter Twenty-Three : Happy(?) Holidays

CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! I've never really known why I love it so much, I guess it's like the ultimate test to see how well you know your loved ones. Naomi and I head out to the mall at noon on Sunday and it is packed.

There's a giant Christmas tree a hundred feet tall in the center of the mall where people can take photos with Santa Claus. Christmas carols and pop Christmas songs play in all the stores as people hustle and bustle about.

Outside the windows, it rains; it never really snows here, according to Naomi, it just rains. I don't mind it. In the store windows are a thousand snowflakes, Santa Claus's, and multicolored Christmas lights.

The two of us spend an hour and a half shopping together by which time I have presents for Adrian, both my parents, Michelle, and of course Dylan. I got something for his mom, too. I have no idea if she'll like it but here's for hoping.

Afterward, we split up to inevitably find presents for one another which only takes me fifteen minutes. I got her another present via the internet last week. Dylan too. I go a little crazy.

We meet back up in the food court at two thirty. Naomi indulges in some cheeseburger and French fry eating while I sip a strawberry banana smoothie that gives me a brain freeze. For some reason, my best friend decides it would be a grand idea to take Santa photos, so we wait in line among hyper children excited to see Mister Claus and parents struggling to keep them together and their clothes neat.

It feels so strange to get your photo taken in front of so many people while they're watching. Pretty much everyone in line is staring at us, so that's great. The photos turn out great though, and the minimum amount you can get is four so we're each left with two.

A lady pulls aside and tries to sell us an expensive hair straightener by flat ironing Naomi's hair with it. She ends up buying a purple one for her younger sister. There's also a giant pet store in this mall so I drag my best friend over to it so I can fawn over the adorable little puppies they have. I always look at puppies and imagine owning them, but never have. Sigh.

On our way through the mall to side where we parked, we pass some sort of Christmas-themed talent show that's raising money for the Salvation Army. Currently a Jazz band (that sounds phenomenal) is playing a Jazz version Jingle Bell Rock.

Naomi and I listen to the rest of the song during which time we realize with great surprise that the drummer is none other than Football Guy Two! Otherwise known as James.

When their set is over, my best friend and I each donate ten dollars before finding James and saying a quick hi to him. The more you learn, huh? Never would've thought...

Finally, Naomi and I decide it's time to head off. I drop her off at her house before heading to my own, where I delve into the business that is present-wrapping.

I'm honestly not sure how I got so good at wrapping presents, but I am. Not that I'm complaining, in fact when I was in middle school my family members and neighbors would pay me to wrap a few things for them. It was a good business while it lasted. But you know, the economy these days put us out of business.

That amazing, familiar, jolly feeling I get around Christmas time fills me up as I listen to festive tunes and drink hot chocolate with snowman-shaped marshmallows. My favorite holiday is just three days away!

True to his word, my father doesn't go to work all week. The two of us spend a significant amount of father-daughter time; watching movies we've always wanted to see but never have, baking festive cookies, decorating the Christmas tree, and singing Christmas carol karaoke. Basically, we have a lot of fun enjoying activities with one another's wonderful company.