Chapter Seventeen : A Jealousy & A Conjecture

"Why is your house so freaking big?", Naomi asks as we walk up the stairs to my room.

"You know, I don't really I know," I tell her. "My family only moved out here for the vineyard, and this is house that comes with it, so."

"Rich people," she says with a shake of her head.

It's Saturday afternoon, the day of Adrian's birthday and, of course, his party. Naomi has been spending every minute with him since eight o'clock this morning, apparently, but since he has to work for a couple hours, she took the opportunity to stop by my house. It's her first time here and, just as Dylan did, she makes a comment on all the pink in my room.

"You weren't joking about pink being your favorite color," she says with a laugh.

"I don't joke when it comes to pink," I say, ironically, in a joking manner.

Naomi flops onto my bed then, her long dark brown and purple hair sprawling around her, "How excited are you for the party tonight?"

I shrug as I sit on the end of my mattress, "How excited should I be?"

"Pretty excited, I should hope! No drugs or alcohol, just friends, fun, food, and games!"

I smile, "What exactly will we be doing?"

"King of just hanging out and talking, mostly. But you know Adrian, we'll of course have to play some crazy games, and we're gonna watch his favorite movie. Again," Naomi makes a face.

I laugh, "That one about the ninja warrior guy or whatever?"

"That's the one."

"I've never seen it, so this will be kind of exciting."

"Trust me," she says seriously. "I've seen it five times already, and it's practically two hours of crazy martial arts, guns, and blood."

"Sounds just like the movie for him."

"Exactly."

"Hey, so do you know who all is coming to this?", I ask her curiously.

"Ten people, Anita. Ten. You'll be fine. It'll be you, me, Adrian, your man Dylan, a couple kids from school, and a few of our friends from dance."

"Oh, cool. I'll be cool."

"Yeah! Oh, Michelle is coming. Not that it really changes anything, but I thought you'd like it better if I told you ahead of time."

I shrug, "Sure."

I think for a second about how I still haven't told Naomi about the fact that Dylan and I have been dating for exactly a week, now. Since she is my best friend, I feel kind of bad that I haven't told her, but we haven't told anyone yet.

We figured it would be better to keep it to ourselves, just for a little while. To keep myself from telling her about it on accident, I decide to ask her about something to do with herself.

"So what did you get your man for his birthday?", I ask with a small, teasing smile.

"Ah, it's not what I'm giving him but it's what I'm allowing him to give to me," she says with a smirk. I give her a questioning look, so she whispers, "The d."

"WHAT!?", I exclaim, sitting completely upright.

She starts laughing hysterically which causes her eyes and nose to crinkle, "I was joking! Chill out!"

I hit her on the arm for good measure, "You cannot joke about things like that, sometimes I can't tell when you're being serious!"

"Obviously," says my best friend, still laughing.