Chapter Three : For the First Time in Forever

The bell rings and now it's time for lunch, but since I forgot mine at home it doesn't look like I'm eating anything. I walk through the cafeteria but because I have no food and feel a bit overwhelmed by the place, I head for the courtyard.

Out here, I see a few people I recognize. That blonde girl named Maddie is eating with a large group of girls and someone I assume to be her boyfriend, Joey from English is just entering campus with a friend and they have McDonald's bags, and over in a shady corner eating Chinese food all alone is Dylan.

The long sleeves of his flannel are rolled up, and I watch him handle his wooden chopsticks like an expert. I sit in a shady area myself, not too far from him but not all that close either. Taking out my phone I scroll through social media a little bored, then take a picture of my new school and post it. I suddenly hear someone calling my name but the voice doesn't exactly sound familiar. I look around and finally see the girl I met at Starbucks the other day, Ivy. I guess I forgot what she sounds like...

"Anita!", Ivy waves at me and starts walking in my direction. She has a guy with her and a Starbucks iced tea in her hand. "I was hoping I'd see you at some point today."

"Well you've found me," I smile as she and her friend stand in front of me.

"Oh, this is my friend Brandon," she gestures to the guy who waves. "Brandon, this is the new girl Anita."

"Hi," he says plainly, and I wave back at him.

"Did you already finish your lunch?", Ivy asks.

"No, sadly I forgot my lunch at home so I just didn't eat anything."

"You're joking! Do you have money?"

"Yeah."

"There's a student store in the lower floor of the cafeteria. I can go with you and you can get some food."

"Nah, it's okay," I tell her. "I'm not that hungry anyway."

"If you say so," she says.

"Ivy," Brandon nudges her. "Let's go."

"Oh, right. Sorry Anita, we gotta go study for our vocabulary test next period. Do you wanna come?"

I shake my head, "I'm enjoying the sun, but thanks."

"Alright, well, I'll see you later!", Ivy calls to me as the two of them depart.

I'm alone again. I look at the time on my phone and see that it's almost noon. I'm not sure when lunch is over but it can't be much longer until that bell rings again. Deciding to find my next class early, I take out my schedule and unfold it to read where I'm supposed to go.

Advanced Placement Chemistry is next with a teacher named Mister Luthy, in the basement. I haul my backpack over one shoulder and head into the large building that I now call my school. I look for a staircase and take the stairs down to the basement where it's a little bit cooler. I follow the signs on the doors as the numbers go up, but I don't see Mister Luthy's room number anywhere.

Getting a little frustrated, I walk back down the hall and look again. There's still no sign of room number B-14 and I wonder if I'm going crazy. I see some people in the hall who look like Sophomores, so I ask them if they can tell me where the room is. A girl with blue hair and a nose piercing tells me I'm on the wrong side of the building. Again.

I thank her and go to the other side like she told me to, and almost immediately I see room B-14. Feeling relieved, I walk up to the door that's wide open. An older looking gentleman is eating a salad at his desk; this must be Mister Luthy.

I walk into the room slowly and he says hello without looking away from a paper. After a few seconds he finally looks up to see me and a look of realization seems to come over his face.