Chapter Thirty-Five : Trouble in Paradise

Just as I suspected, Dylan is quite happy to have a full five days home from school. Since the incident took place on Tuesday, he gets to stay home the rest of the week as well as next Monday and Tuesday. I'm a little jealous, but of course, I now have early release for the rest of the year which is amazing.

Not that I'm necessarily surprised, but it somewhat catches me off guard when I go back to school the day after the situation took place, and almost everyone is talking about it. Most of my acquaintances send me sympathetic looks, and a handful of people come ask me about it, and even wish Dylan a speedy recovery.

I kind of dislike all the attention, but by the same token I'm glad people know about what happened; hopefully nobody else goes through this.

Every day, once I get out of school, I go over to Dylan's house where I usually find him either playing video games, watching something on TV, or reading a book. Lately he's been referring to me as his nurse, since I'm apparently fussing over him too much. What can I say, he's injured and I really worry.

When I get there on Friday, however, I find that he is fast asleep in his comfy bed.

It takes all I have not to "aw" out loud, because he seriously looks so adorable I cannot stand it. I snap a photo of him just for my own personal collection before quietly setting all my belongings down and removing my shoes. I feel very tired myself, which I always seem to be these days, and watching him only serves to make me even more so.

As soundlessly as I can manage, I climb into his large bed beside him and instantly gain warmth as I pull the covers over me. While I situate myself, he stirs slightly with his eyes still closed, before he puts an arm around me and pulls me into him. An effortless grin automatically stretches across my face before I lean in to kiss his nose, then cheek.

He relaxes into me then, nudging his nose into the crook of my neck before apparently deciding it's a good idea to lick it.

I giggle, "Ew, babe... Why?"

He shrugs with his eyes still closed, "Why not?"

"I just wanna sleep."

"Same."

And then we do. For several hours.

I wake up to find it nearing dark outside, and I'm all alone in Dylan's bed. I reach blindly to fetch my phone from Dylan's bedside table which tells me that the time is 7:49 in the evening. My hair is pretty much a hot mess, so I throw it up in a quick ponytail before stretching and slowly making my way down the stairs.

When I reach the first floor, I see Dylan sitting on the couch in the living room as he plays some first-person shooter game that is making quite a bit of loud noises. I stand behind the couch (entirely unbeknownst to him) watching him play quite well until he dies, then becomes aware of my presence as I take a seat right next to him on the couch.

"Oh, hey," he says, smiling at me before pecking my cheek. His has now re-spawned and is back on the move. "This game is pretty loud, and I like playing with sound, as you know, but I didn't wanna wake you up so I brought it downstairs..."

"Makes sense," I nod with a small smile. "How thoughtful of you."

He makes a kill.

"If you thought that was thoughtful, just wait until you hear that I've been waiting to eat until you, Miss Sleepy Head, decided to wake up."

"Aw, sorry! You should have woken me up, baby."

Double kill.

"It's fine, I'm glad you got to get some good rest. Can we go get food now, though? I'm like, starving."