Chapter Nine : Thanks to You

Thursday morning, as I'm brushing my teeth in my gray and white-colored bathroom, I hear my phone notify me of a text, from my bedroom. After I spit out my toothpaste and rinse, I quietly walk into my room and pick up my iPhone. A new text from Dylan has arrived. Curious and eager to see what he has to say, I open it up.

When you get to school, wait for me near the entrance to the football field.

I text back: Why?

And a moment later he replies: Ssh, it's a surprise. Just do it.

I finish getting dressed in my pink floral tank top, jean shorts and white cardigan then grab my backpack and jog down the stairs. I look around the cupboard and pantry for breakfast options before deciding I could eat some of the large amount of leftover chili. I eat it with some beans and cheese after heating in the microwave and finish the bowl in five minutes.

The large clock tells me it's the perfect time to head to school, so I grab my keys and head out the door. It's a little bit cooler today than usual but it's still really warm; once I'm in the car the review mirror says that it's seventy-six degrees.

As I'm driving to school, I listen to The Neighbourhood who has been my favorite band lately. After parking (quite nicely, might I add) in the school's parking garage I walk down the stairs and over to the entrance of the large, very green, very beautiful football field.

I'm waiting patiently for Dylan and pass the time by scrolling through social medias and singing Ed Sheeran songs. It's seven twenty-five when Dylan finally shows up unannounced, sort of scaring me with his words.

"You have a pretty voice," I hear him say suddenly, and I immediately stop singing and gasp lightly in surprise.

I turn around to face him, "You scared me!"

"Oh, sorry," he doesn't look very sorry. "I got you this."

He reaches out a hand that has a Java Chip Frappuccino from Starbucks in it. I take it from him and smile widely at him, "Aw, really?"

"Yes, really. See, I can be nice too."

"Thanks a ton, this makes today even better," I tell him, then take a sip of the delicious coolness.

"What's so great about today?"

"I don't really know," I tell him after a bit of thought. "I just like today."

"Maybe it's because I'm the first person you've seen today?", he suggests with a cheeky grin that causes me to laugh.

"Yeah, let's go with that."

"So, Anita," Dylan begins as we walk along the fence around the field toward the school. "You're a numbers girl, right?"

"Definitely," I nod. "Any reason you're asking?"

"Well, I'm in Pre-Cal, as you might recall. But I need your help."

"So, what, you were thinking of some tutoring sessions?"

"Hey, you suggested it, not me."

"Don't act like that's not what you were going to suggest anyway!", despite my words, I blush a little.

"You got me there," he admits. "I have work today, so we can't do today."

"I have cheer anyway."

"Right. Tomorrow then?"

I give him a look, "You really wanna have a math lesson on a Friday evening?"

"If it's with you, I don't really mind it."