Chapter Twenty-Two : W.T.A.F.

"Anita," says a voice, softly. "Baby." Someone is rubbing my upper arm.

My eyes flutter open to the darkness of Dylan's car, my giant penguin pressed between myself and the dashboard. I groggily sit upright and give my boyfriend a grin.

He grins, "I hated waking you up because you're so cute when you sleep, but we've reached your house."

"I'm sorry I fell asleep," I say in a quiet voice, rubbing my eye. "It wasn't intentional."

"Don't worry about it, it's been a long day."

"It may have been long, but I loved it," I give him a grin.

In the darkness of the car, he smirks and quickly mutters, "That's what she said."

I turn and gape at him, but the smile is there as well, "Dylan!"

"Had to be done."

"Okay well, I better head inside. I can already feel myself drifting off again."

"Yeah, of course," he nods, then the both of us move to get out of the car.

We meet halfway in front of the vehicle where I set Bruce on the hood. His hands cup my face while mine rest on his sides as we share in a long, warm kiss. He pulls his face from mine where we embrace one another in the greatest feeling that is a hug. I nuzzle my face into the fabric of his shirt and he holds me tighter.

"Thank you," I whisper. "Thank you so much."

"Thank you too," he says back. What on Earth could he be thanking me for? By now, I've learned not to question it.

I pull away from him and we stand apart, our hands clasped around each other.

"Tonight was the best night of my life," I tell him honestly.

My boyfriend grins, "You deserve the best."

"Must be why I have you."

The words seem to surprise him briefly before he gets a look on his face I've never seen before; a mixture of eternal happiness, temporary disbelief, and adamant adoration. His large, warm hands squeeze my upper arms as he brings his lips to mine again.

A certain electric current surges through me as I tilt my head to the side and deepen the kiss. His strong hold on me is pinning my arms to my sides, making it both infuriating and amusing that I can't touch him.

Just when I think I might break from his hold, he pulls his mouth away and rests his forehead upon mine.

"Goodnight, Dylan," I breathe, my eyes closed.

I don't see anything, but I hear the comforting sound of his alluring voice which is enough to send me into euphoria:

"Goodnight, beautiful."

"I'm telling you," I say to Naomi the following afternoon. "Literally the best night of my life so far."

"You guys are adorable," she grins, fiddling with the fur of my giant penguin. "Makes me sick."

"You look fine to me," I joke.

"It's an internal thing. So did you tell him?"

I tilt my head at her, "Tell him what?"

"That you love him!"

"Oh, no. I seriously wanted to at a couple points, but I thought that maybe the first date would have been too soon?"

She shrugs her bare shoulders, "I don't know, I'm not sure when I'm gonna say it to Adrian. I feel like it should happen organically; like at some moment it'll just flow out of you."