Chapter One : Welcome to the Warmth

Washington was a place where everyone knew one thing: the weather was extremely unpredictable. One minute it could be pouring rain and literally the next minute, the sun would be shining brightly, glistening in the remaining puddles in the streets. As much as everyone who lived here complained about Washington's weather, it was nice to experience all the variations of weather there could be.

California was different. I've only been here a week and it's clear that the place hardly sees anything other than sun, alongside beautiful, spotty-clouded skies. My new home is different in more ways than just it's climate, however.

My family moved down here because my father was finally able to buy his dream vineyard. What was previously known as Harper Vineyard is now under our family name, Burns Vineyard. Our new house is on location at the Vineyard which my parents are very pleased about.

As one can imagine, the house is huge and extremely beautiful. We also had a nice house back in Washington, but it seems to be nothing compared to this one.

Since we own all the property around, there isn't a neighbor for a couple miles which I'm not complaining about. Almost immediately, I could tell how incredibly peaceful it is around here; the only life around was the plants and the horses we had on the ranch.

Our house has three bedrooms other than the master (which indubitably went to my parents), so I was given the opportunity to choose which of the three I wanted as mine. The first two rooms were lovely but I didn't have a second thought once I saw that third room; it was my dream room.

Complete with a balcony to the west overlooking the vineyard, a walk-in closet and a large set of windows with a window seat, I couldn't be happier. Another thing I was grateful for was the opportunity to get an entirely new wardrobe. Before we left, I sold all of my old clothes to get money for the clothes I've longed to wear, but never was able to because it wasn't warm enough.

I had a very small circle of friends in Washington that I truly wasn't that close with, so as insensitive as it may sound I wasn't too upset about saying goodbye. I am excited to try to make new friends at my new school, but I am well aware of how big of a challenge it could be.

This is mostly because it is already the start of junior year of high school and mid-October. I have decent faith in my social skills, though. I'm always a little shy at first but I'm able to initiate and hold conversations just fine.

Needless to say, living here is without a doubt a huge change but it's not one that I'm complaining about. I'm only interested in seeing how well I, along with my parents, will be able to adapt to it.​

~

Saturday morning, I wake up feeling rejuvenated at nine thirty in the morning. After a refreshing shower that leaves me smelling like roses, I do my hair and make-up before getting dressed in a short flow-y​ dress and sandals.

I grab my phone off my vanity and close my door behind me before jogging down the large staircase. Walking into the kitchen, I see a plate of chocolate chip pancakes that are still warm.

Assuming they're meant for me, I dig in right away, savoring the sweet taste of the melted chocolate in my mouth. I almost scrape the plate clean before sticking it in the dishwasher. Much to my delight, I'm able to find some strawberries in the refrigerator, when I finally notice my mom in the living room.

Her dainty hands are emptying some of my gymnastics trophies from a box and setting them on a shelf on the wall.

"Good morning," I call to her as I plop down on the couch.

"Oh," she says as if she's startled to hear my voice. "I thought I heard someone in the kitchen."

The box is empty now and she collapses it while she turns around to face me, "Well, don't you look cute!"