Chapter Six : The Sun of the Beach

It's Thursday, lunch time. I actually brought lunch this time, and I'm very proud of myself. I have some pasta salad from one of my favorite grocery stores, and a few bright red strawberries. As I walk towards the cafeteria, I think about how funny it was to see Dylan in English this morning. When he walked in the room I was already seated, and he purposely stared at the ground instead of me.

Even when he sat down, he took to busying himself with getting his supplies out while I simply watched him with a humorous smile on my face. When he couldn't stall himself with his notebook anymore, he took out his phone and started scrolling through social media sites.

"Dylaaan," I had called to him in a sing-song voice.

He didn't look over but I saw him grin a tiny bit; just for a second.

"Dylan," I'd said again. "This is Miss Perfect talking to you!"

He finally turned around then, "You're gonna hold that over my head forever, aren't you?"

"It's a possibility," I grinned innocently at him and he made a noise. "What's the big deal about it anyways? I think it was cute."

Then Dylan stared at me, "You think it was cute?"

I nodded, "You're kind of adorable when you're embarrassed, even though you LEAVE ME HANGING!"

He laughed a little then, and smiled so I could see his dimples, "Stop looking at me like that!" He laughed at the fake glare I'd been giving him, then covered his face with his book.

"You're even more adorable when you try to cover your face with your book!", I told him.

"Oh, so you think I'm better looking when you can't even see my face?"

"That's not what I meant!", I hit him playfully and the two of us laughed on.

I sadly break from my memory of third period and bring my focus and thoughts back to the present. Naomi waves at me as I sit down across from her.

"Sup, Anita," Adrian says to me.

"Just lunch, you know."

Naomi suddenly gasps, "You guys! She actually brought lunch today! Round of applause, round of applause!"

Linda, Naomi, Adrian, Adrian's friend, and some other Asian girl all go on to clap for me as they chuckle and I smile but tell them to shut up. I start to eat some of my pasta salad when none other than Jason walks up to the table. Crap, I totally forgot about this...

"Anita," he says with a smile. The girls were right, he isn't as attractive once you know about him. "I've been keeping my eye out for you."

"Hi, Jason," I try to think quickly of what to do. "What's the plan for today?" I'm not thinking very well. Luckily, from across the table, Naomi senses my uneasiness and jumps in to the rescue.

"Jason Moore," she says firmly. It's a little scary and quite unexpected; we all turn to stare at her. "Do not bother her."

Jason looks genuinely taken aback, "What? What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean," she tells him.

"Apparently I don't. What's with the attitude?", he seems to be getting quite irritated himself. "I was only going to eat lunch with her."

"Yeah for today and a couple other days and then you're gonna take her on dates and eventually get her into bed and do something terrible to her. Just like every other girl you've ever been with. Did you think we were stupid enough to just let you get at her? Everyone at this school knows how much of an asshole you are, and you know it. That's why you're going for her: the new girl who doesn't know any better. You're fucking pathetic. Leave our table and seriously, don't bother her again."