Chapter Thirty-Nine : Ever After

Dylan's POV

The day is Monday; almost everyone's least favorite day of the week, and the third day of Anita's stay in the hospital. I wake up at half past six in the morning for school, heavily contemplating if I should actually go. After a minute, though, I realize it would be for the better. On top of that, Anita would probably lecture me if she found out that I skipped.

It's supposed to be starting to really warm up again, according to all the weather men and my weather app. I grab a jacket anyway, just in case. After a quick breakfast and very lonely and boring drive, I get to Chatsworth. Suddenly the thought of school is entirely less attractive.

It is now that I truly realize how much I have depended on my girlfriend to get through the school day.

Despite her lack of presence, I am trying to stay positive by reminding myself that at least I will have Naomi and Adrian to look forward to seeing. First and second period are the same as they always are, and out of habit I move to text Anita my own commentary about people in the classroom.

I get sad when I never receive a text back. Luckily enough, second period we are given a large packet of homework to begin working on, so I focus every ounce of my attention on it.

Third period English is probably the worst. When I take my seat, at first everything is pretty fine enough. But as the class drags on, the empty chair next to me becomes more and more noticeable and depressing.

Naomi and Michelle try to talk to me often, which I appreciate, and they even manage to make me laugh. Missus Hathaway offers her sincere condolences to me at the end of class, which I also appreciate, but at the same time it makes me a little sad again.

When lunch time comes around, Michelle and Adrian join me at our usual table but Naomi is apparently helping present the theme for the Spring dance coming up. At Chatsworth, they always reveal the dance themes during the two lunches (if not during an assembly), having little presentations for them.

I haven't watched one of these in forever, though, so this will be the first time since Freshman year. My two friends and I lean over the banister and watch over the loft to the lower part of the cafeteria where members of the ASB and some of the cheerleaders are standing together.

The ASB vice-president talks for a little bit with the secretary before other members put on a vaguely funny skit that people applaud for.

Finally, eight of the cheerleaders from Varsity, including Naomi, do a little dance cheer thing. I don't really know what to call it, but it's nice. At the end of their routine, they point to a rolled up banner where everyone looks as it is unrolled to reveal the theme:

STAR STUDDED TOLO

dress as your favorite celebrity couples

Saturday, March 26th @ 8pm

Oh, it's TOLO. I forgot about that. TOLO dances are when the girls ask the guys to the dance instead of traditionally, where it's the other way around, and then people start asking why they can't do that whenever they want.

I've never been asked to a TOLO dance before. And based on current circumstances, I doubt that will change any time soon...

Whatever, I never cared much for dances anyway.

Lunch is finally over, and I try to have high spirits as I walk into Chemistry. This class usually puts me in a good mood because I like it so much. And it does go well until during group or individual work time, when JJ approaches me.