Ch. 41

"That was much better!" beamed Heartstorm.

                 "Thanks," grinned Hawkpaw. 

                   "Let's try the back kick again then let's try the dodge and nip technique once more," said Heartstorm. Hawkpaw positioned himself and in an explosive jump, kicked out his hind legs, putting all his weight on his front paws. 

                   "Good job," said Heartstorm, stretching and shaking of where Hawkpaw had kicked him. "One more time." Hawkpaw did it once more, his kick sharp and quick. 

                    "Can I try the dodge and nip technique?" asked Hawkpaw. He found it the most fun as he could use it against larger opponents, such as Heartstorm and he was swift and quick which made him very good at it. 

                     "Of course," nodded Heartstorm. "You're going to master this move, I know it." Hawkpaw smiled happily and crouched. Heartstorm attacked, bringing his front paws down for a front paw strike but Hawkpaw quickly dodged and twisted away to Heartstorm's side. Heartstorm turned and lashed out but Hawkpaw was quick to slip away and managed to land a small nip on Heartstorm's shoulder. They continued like that, Heartstorm retaliating and attacking and Hawkpaw, dodging swiftly then biting and nipping where he could. Finally, they stopped and Hawkpaw collapsed on the ground, panting. Heartstorm as well, took a break, breathing heavily. 

                  "That was good," announced Heartstorm finally. "Tomorrow, you will be training with Dustpaw. You'll be doing some fighting and perhaps some fishing. I'll see with Sparkbelly." Hawkpaw's ears perked up with excitement. 

                   "Cool!" he exclaimed. "Is Rosepaw coming too?"

                 "I'll need to talk to Applenose about that," said Heartstorm thoughtfully, not liking the idea of talking to grumpy Applenose. 

                   "Hi," said Hawkpaw, looking at someone behind Heartstorm. Heartstorm swivelled around. Silverdrop had entered the clearing. His heart pounded and he smiled. 

                   "Hey, Hawkpaw," Silverdrop said cheerily. "How's training? I hope Heartstorm's not tiring you."

                    "No, I learn the back kick today and the dodge and nip technique!" Hawkpaw told Silverdrop excitedly. 

                    "And he mastered it," added Heartstorm proudly. 

                    "I was never able to do the back kick, I hated it. Still hate it," Silverdrop said. Heartstorm laughed. 

                      "What brings you here?" he asked her lightly. He was torn between wanting to teach Hawkpaw more and his duties as a mentor and going for a walk with Silverdrop. 

                     "Wanted to see you train," she shrugged. "There's nothing to do. But Thornstar also told me to get you both back before sunset. It's a Gathering tonight. He wants to know if you-" Silverdrop glanced at Hawkpaw. "Well, if you think Hawkpaw can go." Hawkpaw's eyes brightened. 

                      "Can I?" he cried.

                     "Of course," Heartstorm said. Silverdrop beckoned them and they made their way back to camp. It was just before sunset and Heartstorm told Hawkpaw to go eat something. 

                     "What's it like?" Hawkpaw was asking. "Is ThunderClan going to be there? Is Thornstar going to speak? While I see other apprentices? From other Clans, I mean." Heartstorm chuckled. 

                     "Go get something to eat," he urged. "And you'll see for yourself tonight." Hawkpaw huffed but excitedly trotted to the fresh-kill pile where his siblings were. Heartstorm turned to Silverdrop. 

                     "How was your day?" he asked. 

                      "Normal," shrugged Silverdrop.

                     "Do you still have those dreams?" asked Heartstorm softly. 

                    "I told you, they're everynight," she said with a shrug. "I see you die, everynight."

                      "What can I do to stop them?" whispered Heartstorm, distressed. "Is there anything that could stop them?" Silverdrop shrugged. 

                    "Never asked," she said without care. 

                    "We've got to tell someone, Thornstar, Reedpelt, Frogleap, someone," Heartstorm said. Silverdrop gave Heartstorm a stern look. 

                     "You can't do that," Silverdrop said. Heartstorm opened his mouth to protest. "Heartstorm! You have to promise me- swear to me, you won't tell anyone!" 

                    "But, I don't want you to get hurt," Heartstorm said. 

                    "I won't get hurt.., but- but you might," she said, as if something was dawning on her. 

                      "You're not telling anybody," Heartstorm said, finally changing his mind. "You can't become a medicine cat." Silverdrop looked at Heartstorm, thoughtful. 

                     "If we tell anyone," Silverdrop said slowly. 

                       "It'll be bad for both of us," finished Heartstorm. 

                       "so it's our secret," Silverdrop said. Heartstorm nodded. Their secret.

Heartstorm beckoned Hawkpaw to his side. 

              "Tonight is the full moon," announced Thornstar. "There will be a Gathering, those going are Smoketail, Embergaze, Stripedfur, Moorpelt, Hawkpaw, Dustpaw, Rosepaw, Heartstorm, Sparkbelly and Applenose." Hawkpaw jumped to his feet and cried out happily. 

                   "Thanks!" he told Heartstorm then he pranced away to celebrate with Rosepaw and Dustpaw. Sparkbelly joined Heartstorm's side. 

                    "Let's make the training tomorrow at sunrise," Sparkbelly said. 

                    "They'll be tired after the Gathering," pointed out Heartstorm. "Is the afternoon alright?" Sparkbelly seemed to take this as another opportunity for Heartstorm to train Hawkpaw more. 

                    "No," replied Sparkbelly quickly. "Sunrise." Heartstorm watched him retreated in amusement. Hawkpaw returned to Heartstorm, pelting him with questions. 

                    "You'll see," Heartstorm said. "Come on, we're leaving now." Hawkpaw squealed happily and trotted before Heartstorm towards the camp entrance. Thornstar was there with Frogleap and the other warriors. When all the cats were gathered and Reedpelt joined them, they made their way out. They raced towards the Gathering together.