Ch. 5

For six days, Heartpaw showed Blacktail what he was and was not capable of and Blacktail tested him, taught him and tested his loyalty with a few unexpected questions and observing him. Finally, it was the last day. Deerpaw, Eelpaw and Heartpaw crouched in the apprentice den, talking excitedly. 

             "You're surely gonna be accepted," said Deerpaw. "You're like so good at everything!" 

            "But I don't think the elders would want him," said Eelpaw. 

             "Pigeonfeather would," said Deerpaw. 

            "But not Floodwhisker," Eelpaw said. 

              "Do you know everybody in the Clan?" asked Deerpaw. Heartpaw thought. He knew most of them. He knew it was important if he were to become RiverClan. 

             "Yeah..., just a few I haven't talked to," said Heartpaw. 

            "Who?" asked Deerpaw. 

             "Well I don't know," said Heartpaw. Just then Thornstar called the Clan together. Heartpaw shot a nervous look to Deerpaw and Eelpaw and they slipped out of the apprentice den and joined the other cats gathered in front of High Rock. 

              "RiverClan, we come today to decide the fate of a young apprentice, hoping to join RiverClan. We will all vote on it and of course, I will have the final decision," announced Thornstar. Heartpaw was feeling positive. None of the cats had eyed him or glared at him or whispered when he walked by. They had all been friendly. Even the kits were gathered with Stripedfur and Moorpelt near the High Rock. Moorpelt was giving Rosekit small little kind licks. Heartpaw had never seen him be so gentle.

               "Now, we will waste no time. Blacktail, one of our best, strongest, smartest and most trustworthy warrior has been training and testing Heartpaw's skills and loyalty," Thornstar continued. "She will now come up and tell us about Heartpaw." Heartpaw's heart jumped. He suddenly felt excited but nervous. Blacktail walked up to the High Rock and took a deep breath. 

               "From what I've seen, Heartpaw is an enthusiastic apprentice. He has excellent fighting instincts and skills. Although we will have to teach him how to swim and fish when green-leaf comes, he knows all, if not more, than any of our apprentices at his age. He has shown a confident, strong and kind personality. He has taken RiverClan to his heart. He has proven that he really wants to be RiverClan and I fully believe we should let him enter RiverClan. I know, that he will make a great RiverClan warrior one day," said Blacktail grandly. Heartpaw felt his heart leap with joy. He had grown to like Blacktail for being a strict (sometimes fun though) and very good mentor. 

                 "Now from what you have heard from Blacktail and what you have gotten to know about Heartpaw, you may make your choice. Those in favour of Heartpaw joining RiverClan, please move to the side of the warrior's den. Those who object move to the camp entrance's side," ordered Thornstar. There was some mumbling and cats started to part. Heartpaw watched, heart racing. He saw, to his dismay that Sparkbelly had moved towards the camp entrance. He had thought Sparkbelly was nice. He had never thought Sparkbelly had not liked him. Sparkbelly saw Heartpaw's eyes on him and bowed his head in apology. Heartpaw looked away and saw Wolfstep go towards the warrior's den. He spotted Moorpelt, Stripedfur and their kits move to the warrior's den. Deerpaw and Eelpaw both joined the warrior's den's side and gave Heartpaw smiles. He looked around. The Clan had spit in two. Pigeonfeather had gone to the warrior's den but Floodwhisker, as Eelpaw had predicted, had gone to the camp entrance. Beestripe seemed to hesitate in the middle and whispered into Acornheart's ear. They both nodded and joined Deerpaw and Eelpaw. Heartpaw sighed in relief. He saw a grey warrior, he had gone on patrol with him one day, his name was Greyspeck. Greyspeck grunted and made his way to the camp entrance. Heartpaw's heart sank. There seemed to be the same number of cats on each side. Thornstar padded into the middle of the camp.