Ch. 25

Heartstorm finished his delicious fish and shook himself as he got up. He looked around and spotted Reedpelt. He trotted over to ask which patrols he would be able to take part in the next day. He had had a few days of climbing practise and lessons with Silverdrop and had finally convinced her to postpone them to the next half moon. Reedpelt spotted him coming over and smiled. 

               "Asking for patrols?" he said as Heartstorm reached him. Heartstorm nodded. "Well, I haven't planned any border patrols for tomorrow morning. I think you should lead one to WindClan." Heartstorm's eyes bulged. 

               "Me!" He gaped. Reedpelt seemed amused. 

                "Yes, you. You are a warrior, aren't you?" he said gently. Heartstorm nodded. "Then you can ask a few cats if they'd like to join your patrol." Heartstorm grinned. 

               "Right, thanks!" he said. Reedpelt winked and padded away. He had never led a patrol before or thought about leading one. He had gotten used to just joining some random patrols during the day but now he was leading one! And he got to chose who went on it! He headed for the apprentice den to ask Deerpaw and Eelpaw and realised they couldn't, they were apprentices. He thought about asking their mentors if he could be able to go but thought it unprofessional. If he was going to lead a patrol, he couldn't be talking and chatting to his best friends. He decided to go ask Sparkbelly. He headed for the warrior's den. An owl hooted and stars were starting to appear in the sky. Heartstorm poked his head into the den and spotted Sparkbelly, his eyes fixed at the other side of the den where Blacktail and Silverdrop rested. 

                "Hey Sparkbelly!" called Heartstorm. Sparkbelly looked up. He grinned. 

                "Hey," he answered. 

                "Wanna come on a border patrol with me tomorrow?" asked Heartstorm. Sparkbelly shrugged. 

                "Sure thing," he nodded. "When?" 

                "Sunrise," said Heartstorm. Sparkbelly nodded. Feeling victorious, he looked around for more willing cats. He knew Silverdrop didn't like these kinds of patrols. He had learnt to understand her. She served her Clan in her own way. Blacktail padded up to him. 

               "Do you think I could join?" she asked. Heartstorm was surprised but nodded enthusiastically. "You're growing to be a fine warrior." Heartstorm grinned broadly. 

               "Thanks," he said. She smiled at him and returned to her nest. Heartstorm curled up in his own next, thinking excitedly about the next day. He should find another cat to go as well but he thought he'd leave it to the next day. He fell asleep to a jumpy and excited feeling in his stomach. 

Heartstorm blinked his eyes open. He was leading a patrol! He sprung to his feet, disturbing Acornheart in the process. He apologised to her quietly. He snuck out of the den and looked up. The sky was lightening. Stars were starting to disappear. He spotted Thornstar padding towards the medicine den. Then he spotted Rainfeather heading for him. She smiled at him. 

               "I heard you're leading a patrol," she said in a low voice. "Can I come?" Heartstorm nodded, feeling proud and happy. 

                 "Sure," he grinned. Rainfeather smiled softly. 

                 "Thank you, I'll be waiting right outside," she informed him and slipped towards the camp exit. Heartstorm turned around to some rustling. Sparkbelly emerged from the den, yawning widely. 

                 "I don't know why I agreed to this," he muttered but grinned at Heartstorm. Heartstorm rolled his eyes in amusement. 

                 "Rainfeather's waiting outside," said Heartstorm. Sparkbelly nodded. Heartstorm followed him. He slipped through the tunnel and a minute later, Blacktail arrived.