Ch. 36

"They were on patrol," explained Thornstar. Heartstorm was sitting up in his nest, listening intently and sadly. He had argued with Frogleap until he had fetched Thornstar for an explanation. Heartstorm hadn't fully accepted the death of his Clanmate. It had to be all a big nightmare. "ThunderClan thought they deserved more land and invaded. Of course, the patrol had to attack. One of the warriors was beating Hawkpaw up badly so Wolfstep jumped in front and knocked Hawkpaw aside just as he was about to fall into the river. They fought, dangerously close to the river. Hawkpaw was now fighting with another ThunderClan warrior and had fallen, lying injured on the ground beside the river. Wolfstep ran to his side to help him but two warriors attacked him. He was battered up badly...., he fought back, trying to protect Hawkpaw but he was pushed into the river.... He drowned." Heartstorm's heart was racing. 

                         "H-how could have drowned?" cried Heartstorm. "He knows how to swim!" 

                         "He was too badly injured...," whispered Thornstar. "And the current was strong. He might have also hit a rock and gone unconscious when he fell.. After that, our patrol managed to get a few cats back to their border and fled back to camp. You know what happened after.." Heartstorm and Thornstar lapsed into silence.

                          "I understand your sadness which is why I wanted to tell you when you got better," Thornstar said. 

                           "I'm better," said Heartstorm. "I don't need to stay here another night." Frogleap approached them. 

                           "Hey, I'm the medicine cat here," he snapped. 

                            "Did ThunderClan cross the border again?" asked Heartstorm sadly. 

                          "No," reported Thornstar. "They kept at bay. Many were badly injured, they will not be trying to invade for a long time." 

                           "So Wolfstep died a hero," Heartstorm said. Thornstar nodded. 

                            "You've been through this kind of sadness before," Thornstar said. Heartstorm didn't answer. It was like feeling the loss of Stormpelt again. They had not been too close..., but they were Clanmates, family. "Hawkpaw is having to deal with a lot right now. You've been through this, maybe you could help him." Heartstorm nodded and glanced at Hawkpaw's unmoving body. He had been resting or just not moving for as long as Heartstorm cold remember. 

                            "Right, you need your rest," Thornstar said and turned tail. He exited the medicine den. Heartstorm collapsed in his nest, thinking of the cruel ThunderClan cats who had thought territory was more important than a cat's life. He closed his eyes and felt a wave of sadness wash over him. Then anger. What kind of cat would do that? Heartstorm trembled with hatred. Another cat brushed into the medicine den. Heartstorm was swept by a sweet smell and opened his eyes. A cat slipped beside Heartstorm. Silverdrop. 

                         "How are you feeling?" she frowned. 

                          "Good. Great," Heartstorm replied. He was so glad to see her. He made sure she had no injuries. 

                         "You don't seem too great," she said, her eyes sad. 

                        "Yeah, it's just, Wolfstep, you know?" Heartstorm said nervously. But as Silverdrop gazed at him in understanding, he felt as if he could pour out her heart to her. 

                          "I know," she nodded. 

                          "It's a bit like Stormpelt's death. It felt more overwhelming then..., but I learned to live with it," Heartstorm whispered, he couldn't help it, he needed to talk to someone. Silverdrop listened without a word. "And it's not as important now...., with him disowning me and all. But I just feel like..." Guilt engulfed Heartstorm. "Wolfstep died thinking I was jealous or mad at him because he was chosen to be Hawkpaw's mentor not me." 

                            "You're sad because of that?" exclaimed Silverdrop and shook her head. "He knew you weren't mad at him. He understood you felt slightly bitter at first. But he never thought you hated him. Never." 

                           "You can't know that," whispered Heartstorm. 

                           "But I did know," said Silverdrop forcefully. "Why do you think he asked to join your patrol? I know him... And he was not mad at you. Don't feel guilty." Heartstorm looked away. Emotions were starting to bubble out. 

                             "I just...," Heartstorm trailed off. Silverdrop nuzzled him lovingly. A warm and calming feeling crept over Heartstorm. It would be alright. He closed his eyes and rested his head on Silverdrop.