Chapter 26: Ambivalent. Part III.

Narrator

Days have passed since Eliese finally told Rae that she was dying. Their stay in California was almost over, they needed to be home for the end of August to get ready for the new School year. Eliese was dreading having to go back to New Jersey, not because she'll need to be hospitalized as soon as she gets home but because she knew her friends wouldn't be able to be by her side in her final hours. She was going to be alone. That would put a dreaded feeling in anyone's gut. 

But with the help of Jimmy, Eliese has been able to be happy and heal herself. Eliese wants to capture as many happy moments for her funeral, she doesn't want anyone to cry or to be sad. She wants them to see everything from this summer, every happy memory and smile. She wanted Rae to see her acheivement with her singing, she wants Gerard to see his happiness, she wants Mikey to see his confidence, she wants Ray to see that he doesn't need to be a hermit and she wants Frank to see that he's not who he thinks he is but he's someone better. 

Frank knows something's up, he can sense it. He can feel it in the air. Frank briskly walked down the hallway, following the loud coughing to the basement. He buried his hands into his deep pant pockets as he peered at Eliese strumming the guitar. Between every strum she'd hack up a lung. Eliese was running out of time, her heart was struggling to pump oxygen to her lungs. She's had a couple black outs due to lack of oxygen but she didn't feel the need to bother everyone about it. 

"'Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends. Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba." She sang hoarsely before coughing loudly. It wasn't any kind of cough that made anyone think she was sick, it sounded like she was choking kind of cough. 

Frank's eyebrows fell together as he tilted his head at his best friend. 

"Are you gonna live?" He finally asked as he emerged from the shadows. Eliese turned to face him with a dizzy feeling reeling through her head. She stared at him through blurry eyes. 

"I don't think so." She stated honestly but Frank took it as a joke. He chuckled and sat down on the floor beside her. Eliese was wearing a plain black tee shirt with a pair of high waist cow-girl jeans, or as her mom would call them modern day hippie jeans. That always made Eliese laugh because her and her mom have the same jeans just different generations. 

Frank nosily looked into Eliese's notebook to see what she's been writing down, mindless doodles and foot notes that only made sense to Eliese. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Frank always thought Eliese made a better photographer than she did a writer but he could see her being the frontman of a band or writing songs. He thinks that no matter what she does, she does it 10x better than anyone else. Just like the lyrics he saw written down, they're 1000x better than what he could do. 

"Kill All Your Friends"

Well you can hide a lot about yourself,

But honey, what're you gonna do?

And you can sleep in a coffin,

But the past ain't through with you.

'Cause we are all a bunch of liars.

Tell me, baby, who do you wanna be?

And we are all about to sell it,

'Cause it's tragic with a capital T.

Let it be, Let it be, Let it be!

'Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

And we all get together when we bury our friends.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

It's been eight bitter years since I've been seeing your face.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

And you're walking away, and I will die in this place.

Sometimes you scrape and sink so low,

I'm shocked at what you're capable of.

And if this is a coronation,

I ain't feeling the love.

'Cause we are all a bunch of animals

That never paid attention in school.

So tell me all about your problems;

I was killing before killing was cool.

You're so cool, You're so cool, So cool!

'Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

And we all get together when we bury our friends.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

It's been nine bitter years since I've been seeing your face.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

And you're walking away, and I will die in this place.

You'll never take me alive.

Do what it takes to survive,

'Cause I'm still here.

You'll never get me alive.

You'll never take me alive.

Do what it takes to survive,

And I'm still here.

You'll never take me alive.

You'll never get me alive.

Do what it takes to survive,

And I'm still here.

You'll never get me. (Get me!)

You'll never take me. (Take me!)

You'll never get me alive.

'Cause we all wanna party when the funeral ends.

(Ba-ba-ba, ba-ba-ba)

And we all get together when we bury our friends.

It's been ten fucking years since I've been seeing 

Your face 'round here.

And you're walking away, and I will drown in the fear.

Frank knows that Eliese writes morbid things, her's read so many of her poems that have so much hate in them that he's scared for her but this song, it said something to him. He didn't know what but he knew it meant something. If he only knew that the answers he's been looking for are right before his eyes. 

Eliese watched her friend carefully as thoughts raced through her head, she couldn't push them out this time. She couldn't push them out anymore. It's time. She thought before smacking her lips together nervously. She knew she had to be careful with telling him, unlike everyone else where it was like a Band-aid, she needed to do this carefully so she didn't break him. But the more she thought about it, the more she realized that she can't tell him. No matter how she does it, it's going to hurt the same way. She knew he'd be mad at her but for what it's worth, she'll do it.