Chapter 3: Girl at the Rock Show.

Frank just sat there and stared at me while we sat on the street outside my house. My twitched my eye brows upwards a few times making his lips form a smirk. He sighed heavily and shook his head.

“What’re we doing here?” Frank asked with a flat tone. I pursed my lips and swallowed hard.

“I just need to go and get something, I’ll be right back.” I told him, unbuckling my seat belt. I opened the loud squeaking door and hopped out with my bag hooked around my shoulder, leaving Frank sitting in the van to have free range of my Mix CDs. My little brother, Nathan’s bike was leaning against the back gate so he’s home from School. My stomach dropped when I heard the muffled venomous voices shouting from inside. It almost made me want to turn around and go back to my van and never come out again. But I needed to go inside and get my camera which was sitting on my desk by my computer. I swallowed my fear and stepped into the house, letting the mesh back door swing shut behind me. The venomous muffled yells were loud and clear now.

“We can’t afford all of her medical bills, Lisa! Maybe if you worked more than sixteen hours a week then you’d get paid more and we’d be able to afford to live.” Tom yelled back at her with an even colder voice. I side-stepped my way through the kitchen into the hallway, hoping I wouldn’t get noticed.

“How is this my fault?” Mom shrieked coldly.

“You’re the one to go out and have a one night stand, Lisa!” Tom hollered back at her, making the entire atmosphere go flat, there were no emotions. It was just still. I stood still in the hallway, remaining in the shadows with tears blurring my eyes. I heard my mom’s voice muttering something to him lowly, I couldn’t hear what she said but then the front door opened and slammed shut again. I bravely found my way into my moderately messy room and plucked my nice big, expensive camera that I got from my dad up off my desk and shoved it into my bag as quickly and quietly as I could.

“Eliese.” I jumped half way to heaven when I heard a female voice say my name. I looked up from my desk to the doorway to see my mom standing there with tears smudging her makeup as they dripped down her cheeks like rain drops fall from the sky.

Oh, hey, ugh, hi mom.” I stuttered painfully. She leaned against my door frame with her arms crossed over her chest.

“How was the Doctor’s?” She immediately asked. I didn’t want to tell her, I couldn’t tell her. She’s already broken down and as far as low down can get, telling her that I have less than six months to live will ruin her. I don’t want to be the reason my mom cries at night, wondering if the next morning she’ll find me no longer alive. I shared a confident smile that was obviously faked.

“Fine, they’re putting me on some new meds. They said everything will be okay soon.” I assured her kindly. I was so good at lying about things by now I actually believed my own lie. I only lie to my mom because I can’t stand to hurt her. Like when I was put on anti-depressants, I told her they put me on vitamins to help my energy levels. Just like every other lie I’ve told her, she bought it.

“Okay, um, are you going out tonight?” She questioned me with a low voice that was raspy and shattered. I nodded.

“Yeah, I’m going to see a local band play with Frank.” I told her honestly. She nodded at me and inhaled deeply.

“Okay, what time will you be back?” She interrogated me like every good mother would. I shrugged sluggishly and pursed my lips.

“I dunno, but I have my house key so,” I trailed off lowly. She bit her lip and nodded at me again before turning on her heel into the hallway.