Chapter 5: "Siddalee Viviane Eliese Sullivan". "Shut Up, Frank."

Chapter 5: “Siddalee Viviane Eliese Sullivan”. “Shut Up, Frank.”

Tiredly, I wrote that blog update. I wasn’t going to post it until there were 5,000 words. I had the radio playing quietly in the background as I typed away. My attention was caught by my computer pinging at me, letting me know that I have a new E-mail. I saved what work I have done and opened my E-mail account to see I just received a new E-mail from my dad.

My heart began doing back flips and somersaults in my chest. An incoherent smile fell across my face bravely as I clicked onto the message.

To: Eliese.

From: Joe.

Subject: RE: I need answers.

Eliese,

I just read your latest message that you sent me; regarding being able to meet me face to face, I happen to think that’s a wonderful idea. I’d love to meet the daughter I never got to see grow up. I’d be more than happy to lend out the guest room at our home if you ever decide to come and visit us any time soon. As for wanting to come to California after graduation, you’re an adult now; you can make your own decisions. You have the address so whenever you’re ready just give me a call and say that you’re on your way down. Barbra and the girls are excited to meet you. Jimmy wants to meet his little half sister. And I want to meet my daughter.

I hope you’re doing better than the last time we talked. I hate to hear that you’re not doing as well as you deserve. I’m sending my love your way.

Sincerely: Dad.

I hadn’t realized I was biting the nail on my thumb until I pulled the balled up hand away from my face, letting the smile break through brightly. My insides filled with butterflies and my heart was hammering against my breast. I’ve never even met these people and they’re already excited to see me. My stepmom treats me like she’s known me my whole life. My half sisters can never stop talking and Jimmy; he’s playing the big brother role very well.

I opened a reply to his E-mail with a smile on my face the entire time.

To: Joe.

From: Eliese.

Subject: RE: I need answers.

Dad,

I’ve made a decision, I’m coming after graduation but I’m not gonna be alone. I’m bringing my friends for support. I’m not saying there’s going to be lots of drama but I am saying I’d like my friends to be apart of this piece of history for me.

I’m excited to meet my half siblings. Katie, Jessica and I chat on MySpace all the time and they’re the coolest people I’ve met, mainly because they’re not crazy like Jimmy. Jimmy is nuts but he’s a good guy. He’s very caring and I appreciate his kindness when I found him and told him. Trust me; I was just as shocked as they were when they found out they had a half sibling.

I know you hate it when I’m down, so does mom. Life seems to be getting more and more difficult. But I know that it’s gonna get better, soon. Everything will be okay again. I promise you that.

Well dad, it’s getting late and I have a blog update still to do yet. I hope you and the family are doing well. Love you.

Sincerely: Eliese.

I smiled as I pressed send. It’s been nice talking to my dad these past few weeks. It sucks that I’m lying to him about my heart. It sucks that I’m going to be dead before I turn nineteen. But I’m going to keep reassuring people that everything will be better soon and they just need some hope. I’m not going to die with my family wallowing in puddles of sadness but dancing in the rain happy because I didn’t give up on them. Never once.