31. Allergies & Maha Sivarathri - Feb 1991

Allergies & Maha Sivarathri

February 15, 1991

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Sai Ram. Divya conveys her namaskars. All here is fine. Now I am fully recovered from measles. Now allergies haunt me, giving me scratchy eyes, sniffles and headaches - also many a sneeze during the day and drippy nose. When it gets really bad I take Avil (Anti-histamine), a pill that is gulped daily by many, many Indians (including Venkamma). I have been told however that it’s not good to take often so I only take it in desperation, once or twice a week.

Now Swami’s news. :-) Swami returned here on 10 February (He had been over two weeks in Bangalore). Maha Sivarathri (12 February) happened grandly here. In the morning was wonderful, high-energy Siva songs, pujas and bhajans by college boys. Swami gave much Darshan. Afterwards sweets were given to all His school children (but not to the public).

Evening in the Poornachandra had several speakers then Swami’s discourse. After He sang two bhajans then gave the signal for all-night bhajan! He left to the Mandir almost immediately after and didn’t return till morning about 6:30 AM. But it was so nice to have constant bhajans and I was quite happy! It was of course well-attended by thousands all night. When the villagers got tired they put down blankets on the cement outside the Poornachandra and laid down to sleep!

In the morning Swami came and unexpectedly gave a discourse - and a nice, informative personal one at that! He said some people were spreading false predictions of a future of doom for the world (that He supposedly made), He said it’s all false and He never said it. He said of course small arguments would arise – then said there’s now a war with Iraq and “we have to look upon it as a small thing”! God has different standards then us, I suppose! He also said that all night the bhajans were sang with much devotion but it was all wasted because of jealousies etc. (College girls wouldn’t follow boy’s bhajans, boys wouldn’t follow girl’s bhajans etc.) He said differences should be abandoned in matters of spirituality. After, spicy rice and sweet rice was distributed to all (yum, yum!). Swami gave freely of His love, and like that we had a great & memorable Sivarathri!

Nowadays my good luck (Grace!) is continuing, and the nice friend in Accommodation office is still happily renewing my slip and not giving any trouble at all.

Meanwhile, new rules are being strictly enforced, and droves of people are moving out into the village. Now they are telling even donors that they can only stay two months a year. Normal devotees are advised to leave after two weeks! And the new leader Narayana is continuing upon the progressive path of dictatorship. Well, yes, I suppose Swami needs people like these so the ashram remains much disciplined.

Love,

Divya

________________________

More Allergies

February 25, 1991

Prasanthi Nilayam

Dear Parents,

Divya conveys her namaskars.

Allergies still abound. I have it bad. I must be allergic to water because after bath or after splashing water, I always become badly allergic: countless sneezes, runny faucet nose, itchy arms & face, runny itchy eyes and tiredness. It continues for about an hour then slowly decreases. It’s been this way for a long time!

Venkamma is fine – shakti-full as usual! She’s constantly moving about and giving love and bliss to all who see her or come near her, a great sight to see in these days of cold detachment on Sai’s part.

A few days ago Swami ordered a meeting for all foreigners (He didn’t come). It was to announce that there would be a chicken pox/cow pox epidemic here in about two weeks. Accordingly, some foreigners have made arrangement to leave immediately! I certainly hope I had it when I was young and that it can only be had ONCE in life.

I’ve forgotten all these weeks to inform you – remember I went to Hyderabad on 2 January and saw Mary Naidu? Well, a few days after that she DIED. Yes, to Heaven. Rest her soul!

Well, all for now! Simply someone is going tomorrow and handing out their hand for a letter, so I scribbled a note.

Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhavantu.

Love,

Divya