Day One (Afternoon)

Dylan Harrison's P.O.V. (D8)

"Come on, guys, I think I've found a cave!" Emma yells down to us from a little higher up the cliff.

I smile at the thought of a warm cave for the night. As the day goes by, it's been just getting colder and colder. We needed to find somewhere to stop soon because of the cold, and we need to do something about Wesley's arm. It hasn't stopped bleeding for nearly half an hour.

We all stop climbing when we hear the sudden booming of canons in the distance.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

Only four deaths so far...I wonder what the Capitol thinks about that. I, for one, am not pleased. Those four deaths were probably just some of the younger tributes. So that means all of the real threats are still alive.

I reach the cave with Emma, who already found some firewood while we were walking. She has a fire lighted by the time everyone gets settled in. I look around the cave. It's quite large, but not too large. It's big enough to fit about eight people, at least.

"You good?" I ask Wesley as he leans back against the wall. He nods.

"I just need it to stop bleeding."

Sabrina nods toward his arm, "How'd it happen anyways?"

Wesley rolls his eyes, "I was going in for a pack when Scarlett threw a knife. I'm lucky she only got my arm. That girl can usually throw pretty well."

I unzip my bag and find an extra shirt. I toss it over to him, "You can use that as a bandage. Too bad I didn't get any real medical kits. I do have some pain-killer pills, but I was thinking we should save them for something worse. Unless you need them now?"

Wesley shakes his head, "I'll manage."

I shrug and look through the rest of the items in my bag. I have a rope, a full water-bottle, a pair of gloves, the pills, and three apples.

I sigh, "I don't have much in here. What do you have Sab?"

Sabrina looks through the contents of her pack. She takes out a pair of sunglasses, two loaves of bread, a package of cookies, and some flint and steel.

Wesley and Emma didn't get packs. Emma did, however, manage to grab two swords for us, and a bow and quiver for Wesley. I said that Emma and Sab could use the swords, because I already got an axe.

Everyone stays silent for awhile, just staring at the fire. I am so relieved nobody died yet today. Maybe one of us can make it. Since it was so easy to get by for today, it makes me wonder how the rest of this will be.

"It's getting late," Wesley comments, "I can take first watch if you guys want to get some sleep."

I look at the girls, seeing if they have anything to say. Then I offer to take the second shift before getting comfortable and eventually drifting off.

Myx Averice's P.O.V. (D6)

Cole and I stumble through the dense forest, not knowing where we're going. We already lost two allies, and it's only day one. This must mean something. Maybe I messed up. Maybe I should've asked some different people to be my allies. Hopefully Cole can live longer so I don't get left alone.

I always wondered what was going through the tribute's minds while they were in the arena. I guess I know now, but I wish I didn't. Every second I've been in the arena, I feel in danger. I feel like if I stop walking, someone will find us immediately and kill us horribly. With every crack of a twig, every rustle of a branch, I find myself scared out of my mind. My heart is constantly beating at a rapid pace, and I feel like all of my senses have become ten times more sensitive. I can hear everything, see every shadow and branch of every tree, I can smell smoke from fires lit by tributes, and my skin is sensitive. I've never felt more trapped and in peril than I do in here. I want to get out. And I want to do it as soon as possible.

"Hey, you okay?" Cole asks, bringing me back to reality.

I blink a few times and nod, trying to keep back tears. All of the stress is hitting me right now. I'm only just now realizing the terrible position I'm in. The position we've all been put in. It isn't fair. None of this is fair.

"I think we should stop for the night," Cole suggests, giving me a worried look. I wonder if he's thinking the same things I'm thinking right now. Or maybe he already thought about it all.

We both sit under a huge pine tree, huddled together to keep warm. Cole gives me a pair of gloves from his pack and he slips another pair on his own hands. I can't even feel them on my hands because of how numb they are from the cold.

"We messed up," I say quietly.

"How?"

"Wendy and Jeff are dead, already," I specify, "And we will be soon I'm sure."

"Don't say that," Cole says, "We're going to be just fine. Think of the luck we already got. I got a pack, and you got a spear, we could be luckier than some of the tributes."

"But how are we going to kill other tributes with only one spear?"

"We'll manage. We'll take it one day at a time, and try our best to avoid tributes, okay?" Cole says encouragingly, "We'll be just fine."

I nod, "Okay."

Stephen Refiek's P.O.V. (D3)

"Let's stop by that ledge," Harper says through gritted teeth.

Harper and I are exhausted from carrying Janice the whole way from the cornucopia. She decided to pass out as soon as the gong went off. She's lucky it wasn't a second before that, or she would've been blown to smithereens.

We reach an overhang that was created by a jutting-out rock from the mountainside. Harper and I gently lay Janice against the wall, then we both collapse to our knees. We toss all of our supplies and weapons on the ground.

I laugh a little, "I can't believe we made it out of there in one piece."

"Well, I can't believe Janice didn't blow up," Harper puts in.

"W-what?" Janice suddenly sits up and looks around frantically, "Where I am I? What happened?!"

I grab her shoulders, "You're fine! We got you out before anyone got to you. We made camp here."

She puts a hand on her forehead, "But I...I passed out again! How did I not blow up? How did you guys get me here?"

I sigh, "Just calm down, will you? The gong went off before you hit the ground, fortunately. And Harper and I carried you all the way here. By the way, you are a lot heavier than you look."

She frowns, "Thanks. So what did we get?"

Harper answers, "Two packs, a mace, a sword for you, and I got a trident!"

He sounded particularly excited about the trident.

"Wow," Janice says, picking up the sword, "This is the exact sword I was going for at the cornucopia. Or was going to go for."

"Yeah, I know," I say, "I saw you looking at it, so I got it when you passed out."

"Thanks," she says, smiling this time.

"Don't mention it."