Death Toll (Day Eleven)

Harper Coyle's P.O.V. (D4)

"I wonder who that canon was for earlier..." Janice says quietly to herself, but I'm sure she also meant for me to hear it.

I shrug as I walk out of the house and take a seat beside her on the rickety porch-swing. I push off the ground lightly, giving the swing a little motion.

"Well, let's see...besides us, only Ace and Kara were left, so one of them, I guess. That is, unless you or myself actually died and we're just ghosts."

Janice chuckles, "Trust me, I would know if you were a ghost. Those things are creepy..."

"Hm, I guess I'm lucky for not seeing one yet. I wonder how many of the other tributes saw them," I say casually, looking out at the arena sky. It has a navy tint to it, and stars sparkle like diamonds in an ocean. I don't recognize any of the constellations, probably because they're simulated, but they still form clusters and patterns here and there. The crescent-shaped moon looms over the horizon, creeping up higher in the sky.

Janice leans back on the swing with an audible sigh, "I wish I was back home..."

"Me too," I nod in agreement.

"Harper, I just want you to know, that I couldn't have asked for anyone better to be my ally in the arena than you. When you're around, all of my worries are gone, and I feel like I'm somewhere safe. I can't remember what it was like back home before I was reaped and met you. It feels like you've always been a part of my life, and it's still hard for me to believe that we only met three weeks ago, if even that. I guess what I'm trying to say is...thank you for being the great, thoughtful, brave person that you are, Harper," Janice says sincerely, staring me in the eyes the whole time, never looking away.

"Wow...I don't know what to say...that was like...really deep-" I say, and Janice cuts me off.

"I know, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that," she says quickly, looking away.

I reach up and turn her head to face me, "I was going to say, I feel the same way..."

Janice blinks, almost like she doesn't believe me. She tucks a few stray strands of her dark brown hair behind her ear as she asks, "Really?"

I nod, "Absolutely. I just didn't know how to say it to you. I guess you pretty much summed it all up though."

I want to say more to her. I feel like there has been so much that has remained unsaid between us, and this seems like the perfect moment to get it all out, but the sky bursting into light ruins anything that I had on my mind. The anthem booms through the air, disturbing any amount of peace that the evening had brought.

Janice and my attention is immediately drawn to the sky, where the Capitol seal is projected in bright, blue lighting. I lean forward on the swing, eagerly anticipating the first face to show.

When it does, I hear Janice gasp in shock and I turn to give her a nervous look. Then I look back up at the serious face of Kara Windfield, from District One. Beneath her smug face and her name, Ace Dawford's name materializes. That's the part that freaks me out. I thought Kara was the one we should be looking out for, but if Ace took her out...I think we have more to worry about than I thought. I totally underestimated him. Unfortunately, I never really paid much attention to him either, so I don't know what we should do to prepare ourselves. If I recall, I don't think Janice and I ever encountered Ace either. Yes, we fought some of the Career tributes in the water arena, but not Ace...

The only other face to appear belongs to Wesley Carter, from District Twelve. Well, he made it reasonably far considering the low reputation his District holds due to its minuscule amount of Victors. I heard that District One and Two has been getting so many Victors, that they had to build two extra Victor Villages each.

I lean back on the swing in shock when Ace's name appears under Wesley's also. How did he make two kills within such a small period of time? I mean, I've made what, four kills tops, over a span of eleven days?! And every one of them was almost equally spread out. That's insane.

"He really went all-out today," Janice comments.

"Yeah...let's hope he won't be like that for the next few days or so...or we're goners."

It isn't until Janice tucks her knees up to her chest and leans her head against my shoulder that I realize I had my arm around her. At first, I think it's awkward that I didn't even notice myself do it, but then I realize it's because it's just the way I am. I've noticed that whenever danger is near, or when a new threat is announced, I feel an overwhelming urge to protect and defend Janice. It's my nature. I would rather die than stand by idly when Janice is under duress. Well, when anybody innocent is in danger.

"Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll stand by you all the way, Janice. Don't worry about a thing...you're the one that's going home. I'll make sure if it, know that," I solemnly promise to her, but then I realize she didn't even hear me because she's fast asleep. But either way, I'll stick by my word. No matter how much I've thought about it, I've already convinced myself that I'm not going home. I've accepted that I could never live with myself, knowing that I didn't get Janice back to her home and family. Knowing that I abandoned her in the arena.

It's not going to happen...

~~~~~

Hey there! Yes, I've busted out another two chapters in one day, but I can't help it! Also, it's not like you guys are complaining, amiright?

Hope you enjoyed and are looking forward to an insane chapter. I'll tell you right now...it's gonna be ugly. Period.

Have a nice day!

(Unedited version)

~MK