Day Seven (Afternoon)

Elsa Stane's P.O.V. (D2)

"So who exactly is our main target?" Scarlett pipes up as we scavenge the woods for tributes.

Kara snorts, "Are you actually serious? Everyone here is a target."

"I know, but I was just wondering if anyone had someone specific they want gone first," Scarlett specifies, "Besides, I wasn't really looking for your opinion anyways, Kara."

Kara rolls her eyes and I hold in a laugh. I'm glad she doesn't start up further argument though. Maybe she's finally starting to soften up. I immediately dismiss the thought, knowing that it would be utterly impossible for someone like her to change.

"Not really," Ace says in reply to Scarlett's question, "Whoever we run into first is who we get. Even if we did have a specific target, there's just as much of a chance of running into them as it is to run into any other tribute. Remember, there's still half the tributes left."

"Don't need to remind me..." I mutter.

Suddenly Ace freezes and motions for everyone else to shush. We all stop in our tracks, and my ears eventually pick up the sound of voices drifting through the air. I turn around to see if everyone hears it too. Ace and the siblings seem to notice, but Kara is nowhere to be seen.

"Come on," Ace whisper-shouts, obviously not taking notice to Kara's absence.

We creep through the trees, following the voices as we arm ourselves. The voices grow louder and louder as we approach a clearing up ahead. The once calm conversation suddenly transforms into a shattering scream that sends a chill down my spine. Ace seems to take this as his chance and darts into the clearing. I follow him in.

I push aside the branch of a bush to reveal three tributes on the ground in the middle of the clearing. One of them, Geofrey Santer, is passed out on one side of the clearing with a large, bloody bruise forming on his head. The next thing I see is Kara and another girl struggling on the ground. From what I can see, Kara is winning.

Fate Greenridge, who I have now identified the girl as, is pinned to the ground with Kara sitting on her stomach. Kara presses one of her knives against Fate's face, drawing blood. Fate screams and wildly shakes her head in an attempt to avoid Kara's attack.

Kara reaches up and grabs a handful of Fate's hair, pulling her head up and slamming it down on the ground. While Kara has her stunned, she proceeds to carve something into Fate's face. Kara giggles like a child who just won a prize as she digs her knife into the poor girl's cheek. Fate's screams fill the air as she continues to squirm and wriggle beneath Kara, trying to break free.

Ace jumps into action, being the way he is, always looking to break up the fight. But in this situation, I think he just wants Kara to ease up on the torture and just kill her. He doesn't want it to be slow- the way Kara likes it.

His hand latches onto the back of Kara's collar and he yanks her away harshly. As he does, Kara manages to open a large gash in Fate's abdomen. Fate clutches her gut, trying to hold the wound shut, as she rolls onto her side and folds her legs up close to her chest so she's huddled up like a ball as she screams and cries. Blood streams down her face, mixing with her tears and dripping onto the soft soil. Her thighs, hands, and torso are stained red from blood.

Kara lays down on the ground, laughing like a crazed maniac, while Ace cautiously approaches Fate. He glances back at me as he selects a card from his belt. I nod sternly, looking back at Fate's miserable form on the floor.

Ace kneels beside her head and rolls her onto her back. Fate easily flops over, as she's already lost a lot of blood. Suddenly, Kara stops laughing and charges at Ace, who has a razor-card pressed against Fate's neck. Kara shoves him aside and plunges her own knife into Fate's chest, tugging it back out violently, splattering speckles of blood on her already-sickening face.