Interview Day

George Height's P.O.V. (D1)

The crowd explodes into thunderous applause that grows louder as Kara and I walk onto the stage. Julius Flickerman is standing at the center of the stage, but the spotlight is on us. He waves for us to come closer. Kara I smiling and waving, trying to act cute, like our escort told us. Our escort even made us hold hands, but she said that it's just a thing this year. Apparently, all of the tributes are coming out in pairs.

"Hello, hello!" Julius beams, shaking each of our hands, "We don't have much time for each interview, so I hope you don't think I'm being rude by shooting just a few questions at you."

I nod, and Kara says, "Alright."

"So I'll start by asking Kara, why did you volunteer? I mean, you're so young!"

She grins, "Let's just say I'm going to have the time of my life in the arena. I know that I'm ready for this thing, and I can do so much at my age already."

Julius nods, "Well you've chosen a great year to volunteer, young lady. There isn't a greater Games to play than a Quarter Quell! Am I right, people!"

The crowd cheers and screams wildly in response. Julius turns to me now.

"So I'll ask you a question now before you leave, George, don't think I forgot about you!" Julius focuses on me and I smile. I notice Kara shoot me a glare and I go solemn, "So why do you think Kara chose you at the Reapings? Did you two already know each other?"

Kara smirks as I shake my head to the second question. Then I answer the first question without looking at Kara, but I know she's still smirking.

"I...think she did it because she thinks I'm weak...an easy target. She wants to get as many kills as possible, and I think she wants to kill me first..." I reply and I can't help but notice Kara slightly nodding out of the corner of my eye, "But I'm going to make that as hard as I can for her."

Julius smiles, "Well I can't wait to see tomorrow! For now, I bid you both adieu. Give a round of applause for Kara Windfield and George Heights, everyone!"

Elsa Stane's P.O.V. (D2)

Ace offers me his arm with a crooked smile, which I accept. We walk onto the stage, waving to the full auditorium of Capitol citizens. We stop next to Julius, who shakes Ace's hand, but kisses the top of mine politely.

"So Elsa, I understand that you volunteered," Julius starts, addressing me, "So I assume you and Ace are the main Careers of the Games?"

I nod, "Gwen Reading and Kara Windfield are too, but Ace and I are like the...team captains."

"I see. So how long have you two known each other?" he asks Ace now, "It was obvious to me at the Reapings that you already knew one another."

"We've kinda always known each other," Ace replies, "We and our two friends back in the District are all neighbors and walked to school together every day."

"Well that's wonderful. Just wonderful. I apologize for this, but I must end the interview because of the shortage of time I have been given," Julius says regretfully, kissing my hand again, "Ladies and gentlemen, Elsa Stane and Ace Dawford from District Two!"