Day Three (Night)

Janice Senn's P.O.V. (D3)

Once the Death Toll finishes, Harper yawns and stretches, saying he's gonna catch some Zs. Steve and I exchange glances and a nod as we too settle down to "pretend" sleep. I can't tell if Harper actually is going to the cornucopia or not. I mean, maybe we're just overthinking this whole thing. He never actually said he was going. All he said was that he wanted us to be safe and that he tries his best to do that. That doesn't mean he's actually going to the Careers then, right?

I roll on my side so I'm facing Harper and Steve, who are both sleeping on the opposite side from me of the small fire we made. Harper looks and sounds like he's fast asleep already, but so does Steve. I don't know if Steve is really asleep or not though. If he isn't, he's pretty good at faking it, like we planned.

Just in case Steve actually did fall asleep, I try my best to stay awake. Someone should keep a lookout for unwanted guests anyways. I guess that someone is me tonight, at least for a little while.

I roll back onto my back so I can stare up at the fake stars, lacing my fingers together and resting them on my stomach. Sparks from the fire spiral into the air like little pixies, giving me a comforting feeling. It makes me think of the bonfires we made back in District Three on a special holiday. It was the one day of the year when nobody had work or school and it was this huge deal. The celebration usually took place in the Victor's Village, because it's whole purpose was actually in honor of the Victors. We called it Victor Day. We would all get together to decorate their houses and there would be lots of food and dancing and music, and then we announce every Victor District Three has ever had and stuff like that. We show our appreciation for our Victors probably a lot more than most of the other Districts. I mean, they probably want to have some fun every once in awhile too.

I start fiddling around with my fingers as I think. Eventually, I slide my ring off one of my fingers and hold it up so I can see it in the light from the fire. It's a small token, but a good one. I've kept this ring with me for five years, and I've never taken it off. I'll never forget the day my mom gave it to me. It was my first Reaping Day, and I was so scared, so she took me aside before it was time to go and she said it would be alright, then she gave me this ring for good luck. I guess good luck can only last so long, because look where I am now.

I wish I was back home. Everything was more relaxing and safe there. Here, I'm constantly on edge, feeling like I'm always being watched, or like someone is going to attack at any moment. But then again, I've always had anxiety issues. I also pass out really easily and I've always had a history of fainting spells when I'm under pressure or stress. It gets annoying actually. For example, I passed out at the Reapings, and even far worse, at the Bloodbath. I mean, really? Great timing for that. The only reason why I made it out of there alive was because of Steve and Harper. I owe them everything. I'm just glad that nobody came over and killed me after I blacked out. I hate feeling vulnerable like that.

After what feels like several hours of reflecting on things and tossing and turning, I finally decide it should be okay for me to shut my eyes...just for five minutes. I'm just too tired to stay awake much longer, and Harper doesn't seem to be going anywhere. He probably would've already made his move by now if he was. All of the other tributes are probably sleeping also, so why can't I? At least for a little while.

No! I need to stay awake!

I shake my head and blink quickly, trying to resist the strong temptation to close my eyes. The sounds from the jungle combined with the crashing waves on the beach create a kind of relaxing lullaby that seems to add power to the temptation. And before I know it, my eyelids are drooping again, but this time, I don't notice it, and I finally give in to the call of sleep.