Dust, Bolts, and Poison

Janice Senn's P.O.V. (D3)

President Snow has the most beautiful house I've ever seen. It's easy to say that he spared no expenses in the decor for this place.

Rich, velvet curtains with gold embroidery hang from every window. It's nearly impossible to find a room without at least one item of furniture that's made entirely of mahogany. The walls are either made of marble or polished wood, and delicate chandeliers dangle from the ceilings. Plush, vibrant cushions are displayed on every sofa or chair. The rooms themselves are filled with the strong scent of roses, which I find large bouquets of set up everywhere. They're on the tables, in large pots near the windows, and they're even carved into the walls or furniture in some places.

The one part that bothers me about his mansion is the Peacekeepers that I find stationed in every single room and hallway. I wonder if they're always there, or if they're just here for Harper and I. Regardless, they still unsettle me.

I try to ignore them as I continue to wander around the spacious mansion, the Peacekeepers carefully watching my every move.

There's still a good few hours to spare before I have to get prepped for tonight, so Pau suggested I give the mansion a look around, since we are already here for the coronation anyways.

A strange draft coming from an open doorway attracts my attention. I peer into the room curiously, finding a large room with many bookshelves lining the walls. A single desk sits at one end of the room, but there's nobody in there...not even a single Peacekeeper.

I step into the room, glancing back to see if the Peacekeepers will try to stop me. When they don't move, I walk deeper into the room, looking over the bookshelves. This room in particular seems to be overly saturated in the rose scent, so much so that I have to cover my nose with my hand. My attention is diverted to the desk, where a sheet of parchment and pen rest. I walk over to it, but frown when I don't find any words written on the paper. A pure white rose lays beside the pen. Something about it unsettles me though...I can't explain it.

A wisp of fresh air reaches my nostrils and I quickly find the source- a balcony. The glass doors are slightly opened, enough for my curiosity to drive me over to it. I open the doors slowly, immediately breathing in the fresh air. I step out onto the marble balcony, but freeze when I see a young man in a navy suit standing at the railing, his back turned to me.

I'm about to turn back quietly when he suddenly speaks, "I see you've taken the time to explore my house..."

I stutter on my words, "U-um, yes, it's very lovely. I hadn't realized you were out here. I'll just leave now-"

The President raises a hand, cutting me off, "Actually, I rather enjoy the company."

He finally turns around slowly with a serious face. His dark hair gives his skin a pale color, and his piercing brown eyes are narrow as he calmly gestures to a marble bench on one end of the balcony.

What am I gonna do? Walk out on the President?

I hesitate before finally easing myself down to the bench, sitting as far to the edge as possible. Snow sits down at the other end, casually taking in a deep breath and plucking a white rose from a pot. He gives it a long sniff and sighs, twirling the delicate flower around in his fingers for a few moments. Then his dark eyes snap over to me.

"You like roses, Miss Senn?" he inquires. I can't even begin to explain how I feel right now. It's probably something between frightened, intimidated, concerned, or wary. Everything about this man deters me.

I finally give a stiff nod as my answer.

"My grandfather was obsessed with them...and I've always had a strange attraction to them. They're just...so delicate, so pure. If even one speck of dust was to reach its fine petals, it would destroy the whole appearance. Not many understand how one simple flaw in a system can so easily lead to disaster. One loose bolt in a machine, and it will collapse... One drop of poison in a drink is fatal..." I listen intently to his elegant, deep voice as he throws out various analogies for me, but I completely understand what he's getting at.