Moonlit Nightmares

(A/N: Feelsfeelsfeelsfeelsfeelsfeels!!)

FireSpark's POV

I climbed the hill to stand beside Ian. On the horizon the moon was slowly rising and it bathed the terrain in a gentle, pasty glow. "Ian?" He turned to me, blue eyes soft and yielding in the moonlight. "Yes FireSpark?" I leant against his shoulder. "I'm not gonna ask you if you're ok cus I know by now the answer will be no." He chuckled. "You're learning." I smiled, entwining my fingers with his. He sighed. "It gets harder to hold on, you know? But...easier to let go." I nodded, remembering how hard I found it to overcome my wolf. "I understand." He looked at me sideways. "You do?" I nodded. "Remember? I'm a werewolf." He looked so despondent, my heart went out to him. I stepped in front of him and leaned my back against his chest. Ian wrapped his arms around me and we both gazed out at the moon, rising higher into the sky. I thought he was talking to himself when I realised he was actually singing to me. In a soft, barely audible murmur, but a song nevertheless.

"When you feel you're alone,

Cut off from this cruel world,

Your instincts telling you to run,

Listen to your heart,

Those angel faces,

They'll see to you, they'll be your guide,

Back home;

When life,

Leaves us blind,

Love keeps us kind,

It keeps us kind."

I closed my eyes and listened to the rustling of the leaves above us. I never wanted this moment to end. A minute where there was no pain, no hurt, no fear, only us, and the moon.

"When you've suffered it all,

And your spirit is breaking,

You're growing desperate from the fights,

Remember you're loved,

And you always will be;

This melody will bring you right, back home...

When life,

Leaves us blind,

Love keeps us kind,

When life,

Leaves us blind,

Love keeps us kind..."

I listened to his heartbeat in the silence of the night. In our camp Mitch could dimly be heard snoring. I smiled. From what I've heard, he was a really bad snorer. We both stiffened when we heard Sky shout, but he was just telling Mitch to shut up. We both chuckled at that. Both of us were silent once more, then SSundee sighed heavily. "I've not been entirely straight with you FireSpark." I frowned and turned in his arms so I could see his face. It was streaked with tears. "Derp got the better of me before any of this happened." My eyes widened. "You mean...this has happened before?" He nodded. "I could overpower him back then though, he wasn't really a threat to me...but...there was this one time, when..." He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. "You see, I-I used to have another girlfriend...her name was Maddie." I could sense something bad was about to happen. "I've never told anyone this before." He whispered hoarsely. I leant my head against his chest. "You can tell me Ian. You know I won't judge you." There was silence, then: "I tried to protect her, but...you know Derp. He wouldn't give up. H-he wanted me suffer...and...she..." He broke down and I realised there was a dark reason why I was his girlfriend now and not Maddie. "It's ok...you don't have to tell me." Ian took a shaky breath. "No, I need to tell someone. I've kept this a secret for 10 years. 10 years since I realised I had a psychotic alter ego. Since then..." I waited patiently while he steadied himself, then: "He tore her apart...right in front of me." I stiffened, my insides icing over as Ian continued. "I-I couldn't look away. It was the one time I couldn't overpower him. H-he was too strong. I can still hear her dying screams to this day." I wrapped my arms around him, tightening my grip, hoping to console him in some way. "Oh my god...Ian...I..." He was suddenly silent and I had a horrible image of Derp's crooked eyes staring down at me. I lifted my head and saw he had his eyes closed tightly, as though trying to block out the horrendous memories that haunted him. Poor Maddie. "I'm scared FireSpark." He whispered to me "I nearly killed you today. If I lost you..." I knew I was the only thing keeping him from letting go of his conscious. It was a heavy burden to bear for the both of us. "Ian?" He looked down at me, blue eyes glistening with tears. "Yes FireSpark?" I rested my forehead against his chest again and heard his heartbeat reverberating through my skull. "I won't let Derp kill me. He'll never get the chance." He threaded his fingers through my hair and rested his hand at the base of my neck, lifting my head up once more so my amber eyes met his. "I need to know this FireSpark. If it ever gets bad...if he ever...takes over for good...I need to know that you'll do it. That you'll pull the trigger and end it." My eyes widened. "No, I couldn't kill you Ian." He bit his lip, forcing back the tears threatening to overwhelm him. "Please FireSpark, when my time comes...Sky won't do it...Mitch wouldn't...please." I tried to avert my eyes, but failed miserably. I felt the tears trickling down my face, but I didn't care. "I-I will." He nodded and we stood there for a moment, staring into each other's eyes in doubt and fear, then, I stood on tip-toes and my lips brushed his. "I love you Ian." A moments silence, then: "I love you too FireSpark."