Rebellion

SSundee's POV

I laughed as Sky argued with some random guy at the bar about the difference between gold and 'butter.' The other guy had walked up to him and said, "Oh I know you! You're the guy who's obsessed with gold!" Sky had turned round really slowly and glared at him, stating he was obsessed with butter, not gold. The guy got really confused and they were arguing now. Sky had decided earlier on this evening that, to celebrate my return to reality, he was going to take us out for the night. We had walked to a nearby village close to the city we used to live in, and he'd taken us into a bar. The minute we'd entered the village, a cold sense of foreboding had settled in my chest, causing me to be unable to shake the feeling that something was going to happen tonight. FireSpark sat down next to me, sipping at her lemonade. "Hey." "Hi." She tilted her head to one side. "You ok? You seem...distracted." I pursed my lips. "I-I've just got the feeling something bad's gonna happen tonight." She snuggled up to me, leaning her head on my shoulder. "You just feel that way because you've been through hell lately. Literally." I laughed mirthlessly. "Yeah. I guess I have." Sky gave up and sat down on my other side. "Hey Ian! Sup?" I smiled. "I'm ok I guess. You?" He sighed in exasperation. "When will people learn that it's butter?! Not gold! I mean, what the heck is gold anyway?" FireSpark snorted and I laughed. "It's the same thing as butter." Sky's mouth dropped open. He shook his head in disbelief and frowned. "No offence Ian, but you're full of crap." I laughed again as Sky stood up and strode away to the bar. But the feeling of foreboding was growing colder in my stomach. I stood up stiffly. "I-I have to go. I'll see you guys later." I left before FireSpark had time to object and stepped out into the cool evening air. I took a deep, calming breath and kept walking. The moon rose into the night sky and shed a pasty glow on the quiet village.

Suddenly, I felt someone grab me from behind. I panicked and twisted round, trying to fend off my attacker. They were faster though and wrapped their arms around my neck. I tried to yell out, but my opponent tightened their grip on my throat and kicked me in the stomach, winding me. "I don't want to hurt you unless I really have to." Their voice was deep and gruff; they were male, and stronger than me by the looks of it. I fell silent and stopped struggling. The person dragged me into a dark alleyway between two thatched houses. He shoved me away roughly and I staggered before regaining my balance. "What do you want with me?!" He pinned me up against the wall and I cried out as my back scraped against the jagged surface. "I don't want you, I want him." My blood turned to ice. "He's a monster. You don't know who-" I corrected myself, "-what, you're dealing with." The man chuckled darkly. "There's a battle coming. I'm part of the rebellion against Notch and his army. SkyArmy. You're just what we need to tear them apart." I struggled weakly against his iron grip. "No, please! He will kill you. He has no sense of moral." "We can control him." I snarled. "You think you can control him? Derp SSundee?" I laughed coldly. "Good luck with that." The man studied his fingernails in an act of fake disinterest. "We have means of persuading you SSundee." I didn't like the sinister way he said that. Another person appeared; as though melting from the shadows. They clicked their knuckles loudly and I noticed that they were tipped with metal spikes. My heart beat an erratic tattoo as the man's colleague came closer. The man let go of me and I stared in fear as the other drew back his fist. I tried to duck but was too late and it hit my face with a sickening crunch. My jaw went slack. I side-stepped the next hit and grabbed my attackers arm, twisting it behind his back. His colleague watched in amusement as my opponent narrowed his eyes and punched me in the face again. Broken nose. Great.

My head throbbed and my thoughts had gone mushy. My vision was fuzzy and tinged with red at the edges. My attacker cracked his knuckles again and the metal tips were now stained with blood. That's what set him off I guess. The fact that someone else was hurting me. I heard his voice in my head and didn't even have time to warn the two men. 'ONLY I'M ALOUD TO MAKE IAN SUFFER!' I clutched my head and doubled over in pain as my eyes burned. It felt like a wild beast was tearing its way into my skull through my eyes. I heard the two men yelling to each other in fright as I cried out in agony. Then it was over. Once more, I remained conscious. Derp straightened up and my limbs felt fuzzy; like they weren't connected to me. He walked forward and stared the two quivering men down. The one who had dragged me into the alley spoke up first. "D-Derp SSundee?" He snorted. "Who else could it be?" Derp said, once more manipulating my voice using his hoarse, strangled tones. His colleague approached him, head down in a mixture of fear and awe. "W-we need you to join our cause. T-the rebellion-" "Why should I help you?" The men exchanged glances. "Well, we thought-" Derp smiled sadistically. "Guess you thought wrong then." He lashed out, hitting my former attacker's between the eyes. He stumbled backwards and fell to the ground. The other man backed away as Derp bent down and drew his colleague's sword from it's scabbard. He slowly turned back to the man and tilted his head to one side. "One thing you should know about me...I don't help people unless I get to watch them suffer." I tried to look away as Derp lunged forward, but I still had to watch and hear his victim scream as the blade pushed deeper into his warm flesh. Derp snarled and I could sense him contemplating whether to kill him or not. "Want to watch SSundee?" He whispered to himself...to me. "No." I whimpered.

He smiled. "Too bad." He twisted the hilt and the man shrieked again as the soulless metal gouged out his insides. I was paralysed in terror and grotesque fascination. Maybe I didn't want Derp to stop. There was something transfixing about the way the man's blood thickened and clotted around the open wound. About the way the man's screams grew weaker as his heart pumped the blood out of his chest. Derp studied his good work. "Enough?" I started, realising he was asking me! "I know you enjoyed it Ian." I hung my head in shame. It was true. Some, sick, sadistic part of me had enjoyed it. Funny, I guess Derp isn't the only part of me like that. "Nothing to be ashamed of SSundee. Enjoyment of pain is what makes us human. We crave it." "Stop." "But-" "Stop. Please. It don't want this." Derp growled. "Suit yourself, but you'll just make it worse for yourself." In one deft movement, he silenced the man's piercing screams with a dull crack. The man's neck hung, broken. Derp's sick enjoyment faded away to be replaced with a hollow sadness. I knelt beside the dead man, gazing into his misty eyes. "I'm sorry...so, so sorry." I whispered to him hoarsely, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. I heard someone gasp and didn't even bother to look up. "Ian." Sky's voice. They obviously would've noticed my prolonged absence. "Don't come near me. I-I don't want to hurt you." I practically choked the words out. Ordering my friends away for their own survival... The dead man's colleague had regained consciousness now and back-pedalled furiously away from me. "Y-you, killed...my-my friend." I glared at him. "I warned you. There's no controlling him." "Does someone mind telling me what the f*** happened here?" Sky. Again. I turned the glare on him. "What does it look like Sky? Yes Derp overpowered me, and yes he killed someone else." I paused. "Not like anyone cares what the repercussions are on me." I added bitterly. FireSpark knelt down next to me. "I care." I sighed. I couldn't meet her amber eyes, the ones I loved so much. "I-I know that FireSpark. It's just..." "I know." She kissed me, softly, and left. Sky helped me up, not saying anything. He knew he could only do his best to make it easier for me. But even he didn't know. He didn't know how alike Derp and I really were. Because these days, I really was starting to doubt who was more human out of the two of us. And I really didn't want it to be him.