Chapter Forty-three: Because I'm Yours

It wasn't morning yet. Terry knew that much, just by looking at the dark curtains over the windows. He yawned, then rolled onto his side to snuggle with Maddie. He nudged his head closer until his lips kissed the side of her face.

"Terry."

Her sleepy voice made him smile.

"I'm hungry."

"I don't know why, when we only left home before lunch, and then went without dinner."

"I had the pretzels you bought."

"True enough. Still, we should eat." He thought about it, but made no effort to get up. He nuzzled, found her mouth and started to kiss her. She tasted better than any food he could ever imagine, and as he started to lose himself, she pulled away.

"Please--"

"I know." He pushed onto his back, and stared at the ceiling. He was getting up, but in his own way. The suite had grown cooler as the night had worn on, and the bed felt so comfortable, he had to mentally prepare himself to shove the covers off. He just wasn't there yet. He turned his head, and looked at Maddie. "Are you all right?"

"Are you going to ask me that every time you hold me?"

"Is there going to be a next time?"

"After everything I said in the bathroom, do you even have to ask?"

"It was only a question--" He laughed as a slender hand darted under his arm, and he couldn't stop howling as she moved to get a better vantage for her armpit-attack. "Maddie..." He tried to grow serious, and keep a straight face, but he failed miserably.

When he started to flex some muscle, Maddie let out a nervous giggle. Her giggles turned to peals of laughter as he dug beneath the blanket and tickled under her arm. She gasped for breath, then leaned in, and the next moment her mouth was on his and they were kissing. For all her play, Terry knew she needed to stop. He tried to ease back, but she held fast and wouldn't let go. She needed to stop-- he knew she did, and with that sounding in his brain, he pushed away, got to his feet, and breathed deep. The only miracle was that he'd been able to think clearly enough to act.

Rubbing his face, he looked down, and saw Maddie curling onto her side as though trying to comfort herself. "Sweetheart--" he knelt, and gathered her in his arms-- "I didn't mean anything when I pushed you away. We just have to calm down a little, that's all."

"I'm sorry, Terry. I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't apologize."

"It's just that I feel so much-- so many things are happening at the same time. If I don't hold on, maybe this will all go away and I won't be able to find it again."

"Don't worry about it. Let's just relax, and have that dinner before someone calls from home and we're forced to admit we still haven't eaten." He looked at the freezer bag by the door, but she was clinging to his pajama top so he couldn't get up. "I'm just going over there to get our dinner, okay?" He smiled when she nodded, "yes," then eased a hand behind her to give her comfort. "Are you all right?"

"You keep asking that."

"Only because you winced just now."

"I'm okay," she nodded.

He climbed to his feet, then stepped away to get the freezer bag.

She looked about the room. "What time is it?"

"It's still dark outside, so whatever it is, it's early morning." Terry lifted the bag onto the blankets, then opened it, and checked inside. "The ice packs are still cold."