Chapter Eight: Looking Ahead

If Jake had been the one to spill the good news, he would have been thoughtful enough to call. But not Abby. She shot off an email and dumped the good news into their lap without any ability to remark or ask questions. That was Abby.

That night, Three Mile Bay called San Diego for more of the details that Abby had left out. Such as when they were arriving, and what had finally made up their mind to come. With everyone on an extension in separate rooms of the house in New York State, Abby fielded their questions from her living room in San Diego while Jake put Ricky to bed.

"We've given it a lot of thought, Dad. College has overall been a good experience for Jake, and I'm delighted he graduated with honors. I really am. I'm proud of him. His professors say he has real potential, but I have to admit it's been rough at times. Almost everyone here has been incredibly kind and supportive, so I don't have any right to complain."

"But something is wrong," Izumi spoke up. "I can hear it in your voice."

"It's not so much wrong, as it was never really great to begin with. He struggles through friendship with the others students, never really able to just relax and be himself. The others don't know how to treat him because everyone here knows he's on an advisory board for a state penitentiary. Even worse, they know why."

"How could they possibly know that, unless someone told them?"

"Mom, remember that newspaper clipping I emailed you after we got here? The piece from the local newspaper? It's made Jake a minor celebrity. Everyone is super polite and kind in the extreme-- you saw that when you were all down here for the graduation."

"Yes, the college president gave us an extensive tour of the campus. It was very impressive."

"See what I mean?" Abby groaned. "The college president-- who doesn't give out tours-- gave one to my family. It was because of Jake."

"But isn't that a good thing, Abby?"

"Mom, they won't let him fit in. They are kind, and I believe genuinely glad they can point to their student body and say such a person as this was able to graduate with honors. Jake makes them look good. I hate to put it so bluntly, but it's true. As for the more genuine friends, they often aren't able to cope with the trauma of knowing what happened to Jake. They feel awkward around him, like they just can't forget."

"Then why did you have to give so much information in the article?" John asked.

"They didn't get that from us, Dad. Remember the commission? They got a transcript of the entire thing, Jake's testimony included. They had more than enough to do their column. Like I said, I'm not complaining. The reporter was well-meaning, but I wish the story had never been run. Now that he's graduated, I think it's time we came home."

"What does Jake have to say about all this?" Terry asked.

"He won't admit to me that people treat him differently. In short, he pretends all day long that he's fine, that it doesn't matter, that he can take it with a grin and keep his mouth shut. I can't. Hold on a minute. Jake's coming. Pick up the extension in the living room, Baby."

"Dad, Mom-- Uncle Terry? Hey, did you get Abby's email?"

"We sure did." Terry summoned a happy tone, maintained it carefully for Jake's benefit. "It's fantastic news. When are you coming? We can have the little yellow house fixed up and ready for you by the time you arrive. There's the gas, electricity, water to turn on, and there's probably a foot of dust on the floor by now."

"Don't go to any trouble."

"It's no trouble, Jake. You're bringing our Abby home. We're more than happy to do it."