Chapter Forty: Don't Tell Terry

In all the excitement, the ladies stopped talking about lunch and Madison found herself hunting for a matron of honor dress for Izzy. They were kept in a different part of the boutique where color splashed on the hangers. From soft purples to violent reds, they made Madison grateful she was back in her sweater and jeans and not having to face the changing screen. She had no idea what she was looking for, even though Izzy kept asking Madison for her opinion.

"What kind of dress do you want me to wear?"

"Anything you like," was the only answer Madison could think to say. "According to those magazines, you're the one who's going to have to pay for it."

Izzy laughed, and Madison smiled.

"What color are your roses going to be?" Izzy asked.

"Pink." It caused Madison a big gulp to say that, for she was standing in a very pink room.

"I think I saw a blush colored dress over there..." Agatha beelined past Madison, and Abby moved out of the way.

"Do they sell shoes in this place?" Abby asked.

"Why?"

"Because you need shoes to go with your wedding gown, and Mom will need something to go with that."

Madison turned, and saw Agatha holding a soft pink dress to Izzy. When Izzy tried it on, everyone gave their approval. It had a modest sweetheart neckline that matched Madison's gown, though this one didn't have any lace; its full pleated skirt came to the floor, while the capped sleeves flattered her neck and shoulders. These fancy terms came from their consultant, for Madison had no idea what it all meant, only that it dressed up Izzy's everyday elegance to a high shine.

After Izzy changed, they found the boutique didn't have much of a selection when it came to making your feet pretty. That meant going somewhere else, so Izzy pulled out her wallet, and plunked down some plastic.

"You aren't supposed to pay for my things," Madison whispered to Izzy.

"Don't worry. Before we left, Terry made me promise to give him all the receipts. He'll be keeping track of all this, and will pay me back."

Though it made Madison feel better, it brought up a private concern. Terry would know everything she bought. That would be a problem. Her heart sank a little more when she remembered both dresses would need a few alterations. That meant they would have to come back to this place, after all, though at least it wouldn't be to buy more clothes.

Happy over their progress, the ladies went to a tidy, garden-themed restaurant. When the others ordered soup and salad, Madison followed their example and ordered the same thing. She didn't have time to think for herself, she was too busy trying to figure out how to go about something important. While the women talked over which store to get the wedding invitations, Madison moved the salad around her plate and wondered who she could get to help her.

Izzy couldn't, because she wouldn't know about those sorts of things, and Abby... Madison didn't want to impose on her anymore than she already had. She could ask Jake, but Jake wouldn't know.

But John would.

After they had a light dessert of fruit cocktail, the women went shopping for shoes. It sounded innocent enough, until Madison found herself standing in stilts, hanging onto a shelf for dear life.

"She's going to break her neck, Mom."

"She isn't used to high heels, but she won't break her neck. Twist an ankle, maybe." Izzy sighed, and motioned for Madison to sit down. "You'd better try something easier." Izzy handed Madison a pair of white satin sandals that had straps and two inches of heel.