Chapter Thirty-five: Everyday Courage

For someone who'd been run through an emotional blender by her brother, Terry thought Maddie looked remarkably calm. She quietly watched the doctor examine his sore ankle, and when it was time for him to move to another room to get his foot X-rayed, she went with him. Though they acted like newlyweds who couldn't bear to be out of each other's sight, it didn't embarrass Terry in the slightest. Let the doctor and the entire medical staff smile all they wanted-- this woman loved him, and Terry wore it like a badge of honor.

A brother. If only Terry could feel as calm. Maddie now had a surprise brother and Terry now had a brother-in-law. Wow, had that ever come from left field. From the sound of it, Tim had some problems-- Connor had mentioned something about Tim being a little high-strung, and from Maddie's worn out eyes, Connor had been telling the truth.

Despite all that, she wasn't scratching herself, she didn't look seconds away from self-injury. Either she was doing a good job of acting, or Maddie had come away all right.

When he could, Terry held onto Maddie's hand to let her know he was there for her, though from her soft fingers, it felt more like she was comforting him, than the other way around. And she was comforting. After the X-ray was over, and he could go back to Maddie, her touch felt wonderfully reassuring. Terry felt guilty for hurting his ankle on the same day her brother turned up, but as long as Maddie was all right, then Terry figured, so would he.

A brother-in-law. Terry still couldn't get over that.

By the time they rejoined John and Izzy in the waiting area, Terry felt more than a little eager to get home.

"It's a mild sprain," Maddie told them, and John looked satisfied that it wasn't something worse.

As she told them what else the doctor had said, Maddie moved hard into Terry's side. The message was clear. She was going to help. Not wanting to push her away, Terry put some weight on her shoulder-- enough to let her know she was doing something useful, but not so much she would fall over. She was helping enough people, she didn't need him bleeding away precious strength. He knew he'd have to rest his foot, but momentarily toyed with the thought of going against doctor's orders. His sprain had been so mild, the doctor hadn't bothered to give him crutches. So maybe he could do away with the rest.

"The rain stopped." Maddie was all peaches and cream, and when she looked at him and smiled, he found himself smiling back.

As they drove home, Terry worked on patience to let his ankle heal. He wanted to be the one helping Maddie, especially now that she had Tim, and he wished there was something he could do to help. Making an injury worse wouldn't help Maddie though, and Terry prayed for more patience. And for the patience to have it answered. He was reminded of the man who prayed for patience, and wanted it now.

"I'm sorry my ankle is happening at the same time as all the rest of this." Terry looked at Maddie as she squeezed a soft hand over his. "You're taking good care of me, and I love you for it, but I want to help. What can I do to help you?"

When she didn't answer right away, he could tell there was something.

Maddie bit her lip, and when he coaxed her with a smile, she finally pushed out the words. "If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to keep my half of our appointment with Carol."

"That's tonight, isn't it? I'd forgotten all about that."

"Please, Terry, I need to see her. I can take Izzy or Abby with me, so I won't be alone."

"Do you feel like cutting?"

"Not at the moment." Maddie looked at him and he sensed she was trying to be honest. "I thought about it when I was talking to Tim, though. But I didn't. I didn't even scratch. You can ask Izzy."