Chapter Thirty-one: The Hiding Place

The taxi slowed to a stop in front of the hotel, and Terry pulled out his wallet to pay the driver. The fact he could remember such things as money, or the need to tip the driver, was evidence that Maddie's wedding kiss hadn't blown every fuse in his brain. That he was still able to run on rational thought. Considering what had happened, it was miraculous his brain was working at all. Terry leaned over, popped open Maddie's door while John and Izzy got out on Terry's other side.

Newfound wonder stirred in Terry as he watched his wife climb out. Maddie was his now, though the thought seemed incredible. He glanced down at his left hand to make sure there really was a white gold band on his finger, one put there by Maddie.

"Congratulations, man."

Terry looked at the front seat, saw the taxi driver smiling and remembered the guy had picked them up in front of the Office of Civil Marriages.

"Thanks." Terry felt a little embarrassed as he stepped out of the cab and into the shade of the hotel's portico. The day felt surreal, almost like he was witnessing someone else's life, and not his own, and yet this was all happening to him.

He had just gotten married.

The second taxi pulled up as Maddie came to his side. He tried not to linger as her eyes sought his, or feel too much when she took his hand in her own. That intensity he'd felt from her in the past and hadn't known what to do with, was spilling off her now, and he still wasn't sure what to do. They were going at her speed, not his, and that, he reminded himself as she leaned her head against his shoulder, was very, very slow.

He could do slow. If his jackhammering heart didn't count, he was doing slow right now.

"Maddie--" he gently pulled away-- "I have to pay AJ's driver." Terry resisted looking into the gray eyes he knew were watching him, and went to pay the taxi as Abby and Jake climbed out and joined the others.

Steady. Steady.

Terry took in a steadying breath, gave the man his money and headed back to the hotel entrance where everyone was gathering. Terry didn't want to think about the kiss. He didn't want to think about Maddie. He didn't want to think about the fact he and Maddie were married now, or the fact Maddie was taking his hand again.

He could feel her pulse, and it was racing-- just like his.

"So." Terry inhaled slowly as everyone moved inside the air conditioned building. "Are we still on for movies and room service? Is that the plan?"

"It is, unless you have somewhere else you'd rather be." John strolled over to the elevator, tapped the console, stood back and waited for their ride. No side punches, no jokes about newlyweds, nothing but ordinary John waiting for the elevator.

Not that Terry had expected to be harassed, but still. Terry was deeply grateful.

"As long as Maddie's resting," Terry struggled for casual confidence, "movies and food sound good to me." He checked the quiet woman at his side to see what she thought, and found her staring at the marble tiles beneath her feet.

The marble was nice, but it wasn't that nice.

"Are you very tired?" Terry squeezed Maddie's hand and she leaned into his side without looking up. "Do you want to rest before going over to watch movies with the others?"

She nodded as the elevator doors slid open.

Everyone moved inside, Terry tapped their floor and Maddie moved against Terry's arm. At first Terry thought she was afraid of elevators, but then her head cozied into his shoulder and Terry fought the urge to look down. He steadied himself, held her hand and focused his eyes on the mirrored panels. The others were talking among themselves, and there at his side, Terry could see Maddie-- eyes closed, a happy curve on her lips, and looking quieter than he'd ever seen her awake.