Chapter Two: New Mercies

Stunned shock arrested Terry's breath, and for several long moments, he just sat there, the sound of that one wild scream still echoing in his brain. Could it be possible that a human had made that unearthly sound, let alone this slight woman who weighed nothing at all in his arms? Now quiet, and slumped against the seat, she showed no signs of life. Terry put out a hand, touched her shoulder to get a response.

"Hey, wake up." When she didn't move, Terry felt a swallow squeeze its way down his dry throat. Please, God, let her be alive. Don't let this woman die in my jeep. How will I ever explain this to Henry Peterson? Terry pictured the handcuffs circling his wrists, the pained look on Sheriff Peterson's face as Terry tried to explain what happened. "She took one look at me, screamed like a banshee, then keeled over in the seat. Honest."

Pushing back any rational fear for himself, Terry lifted an ice-cold hand, rubbed the unresponsive fingers between his palms. "Ma'am? You need to wake up, and let me know how badly you're hurt."

A small groan eased Terry's apprehension. The hood fell back as she turned her head against the seat, allowing an unobstructed view of her face for the first time. The sight of her made Terry's breath catch. He questioned his eyes, wondering if he had plucked an angel unawares from the mud, and not a mortal like himself. Maybe that explained the unearthly cry. Rubbing his eyes, Terry looked at her again, trying to decide whether he was going crazy, or just in bewildered shock from the scream.

Faint silvery moonlight filtered through the clouds, lending a storybook air of wonderment to Terry's already dazed mind. He saw a slender face, delicate skin, even features that could of come straight from the pages of one of the triplets' much-beloved books of fairytale princesses. Maybe this was no angel at all, but a fairytale princess come to life. With that crown of blonde hair and cute little nose, maybe Terry had found Sleeping Beauty outside her castle walls.

Angel to princess, Terry sighed at his own nonsense. This is what came from reading one too many children's books to the girls.

Without warning, a pair of large, dramatic eyes blinked open. They stared at Terry in such profound horror, it startled him even more. He wondered if she saw something frightening over his shoulder, and turned only to find his own reflection in the window.

With a sharp gasp, Sleeping Beauty twisted in her seat. She tugged at the passenger door, and before Terry could stop her, it swung out into the downpour. She leaned through the opening, but lacking strength, tumbled onto the ground with a splash and a cry of pain. Terry burst from the driver's side, ran around to collect the woman who was behaving as though she'd lost her mind.

Maybe Sleeping Beauty was off her medication.

A frantic arm pushed away his hands when he stooped to lift her from off the ground.

Terry wiped the rain from his eyes, stayed crouched and watched in bewilderment as the woman moved to her knees, struggling to stand but unable to get upright.

"You're going to hurt yourself!" he shouted. "Let me get you back into the jeep, and I'll take you to a hospital."

"No." The word sounded definite, as though her mind was made up and no amount of talking could persuade her otherwise.

By now, Terry was shivering convulsively, having given his coat to the princess who knelt in the rain. She stared at the ground, her frame shaking with cold and something else Terry couldn't quite place.

With a stab of reality, Terry realized it was fear. She was afraid of him.

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself," he grinned, hoping it would encourage her to calm down. "My name's Terry Davis. I live nearby with my family, and I work with computers for a living. You can trust me."