Chapter Eleven: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Are you sure you can handle lunch without me?" Izumi came through the kitchen doorway as she slid a purse strap over her shoulder. "I could push my appointment back if you need me here."

"Nope, I've got everything under control." Terry folded his arms, leaned against the counter in his usual easygoing manner. "You already fixed lunch. All I have to do is put it on the table."

"Thanks, Terry. When the Doyles arrived this morning, I thought I'd have to change my plans."

"By all means, keep your lunch date," Terry said as Madison took a seat at the table. "We can handle a hungry crew, can't we, Maddie?"

When his question met with only timid agreement, Izumi made no comment. It didn't seem humanly possible for Terry to ever find someone more damaged than Victor, yet he had done just that. This damaged soul with the quiet beauty of a folded rose, had sharp thorns that could easily draw blood. Madison wouldn't inflict pain on purpose, but the pain would come, just as surely as Terry's nightmares were becoming more violent.

"Stop worrying about lunch, Izzy. Go have a good time and don't give it a second thought. We've got you covered."

A good time wasn't what Izumi had in mind, but she thanked them both and left without having to say who she was meeting for lunch. It was too soon to say anything. In the unlikely event the dinner invitation was turned down, Izumi would rather Terry not know.

* * * *

The Bayfront Restaurant at Three Mile Bay Marina jostled with activity. An overworked waitress hefted a tray above Izumi's head as Izumi maneuvered to find her friend.

"Over here." Emily McCall waved, gave a pleasant smile as Izumi edged between two crowded tables to reach her. "It's a madhouse, isn't it? Serves me right for suggesting we come during the noon rush."

"I'm just grateful you came, Emily." Izumi returned the smile, took a good look at her friend. Emily's blue-brown eyes were framed by straight brown hair cut just above her shoulders, and parted down the middle for a smart look that held a hint of playful spunkiness that reflected its thirty-four-year-old owner.

Intelligent and thoroughly approachable, Emily had that admirable balance of brains and good looks that didn't get in the way of common sense. She didn't take herself seriously, though there was a professional confidence in the way she carried herself that announced she wasn't a pushover for flattery. Competent and sweet. That described Emily to a T.

Added to all this, was Emily's strong sense of loyalty. She had taken a short vacation from her job as a store manager in New York City, to come to Three Mile Bay and care for her ailing mother. When her mom passed away, her father became ill and needed constant care. As an only child, this responsibility fell solely to her. She gave up her job, and six years later, Emily was still in Three Mile Bay, caring for her dad's frail health. They had a comfortable house not far from the Johanneses, and lived on her father's social security and her earnings as a home-based call center operator-- a job suggested to her by John. She handled everything from customer complaints, to billing, order processing, and technical support for a nationwide internet service provider. She had her own home office, and waited for calls as they were routed to the various operators in the call center network. The job took advantage of her college education and solid work ethic, though it couldn't compare to her earnings or prestige as a store manager. But no one could call Emily a quitter.

Their church helped out whenever they could with house repairs, and volunteers took turns watching her father whenever Emily needed to leave and a nurse or aide wasn't available.

Taken as a whole, Izumi knew it wasn't easy for her to get away on such short notice.

Emily's blue-brown eyes flashed with curiosity. "When you called yesterday, Dad told me something was up. As far as I know, nothing's wrong with the girls, AJ is still likely to come back, and your marriage is rock-solid. So what's up?"