Chapter Twenty-one: From the Heart

The program about the wonders of the Amazon Forest couldn't hold her attention. She had blinked, and things were changing around her that she couldn't stop. First, Uncle Terry running himself ragged for a total stranger, and now this? He was seeing Emily McCall? It stunned her, kind of like hearing one of your parents was thinking of leaving and breaking up the family. Only not as bad, since Uncle Terry wasn't married into this family; he was just forever and always a permanent part of it.

Abby rubbed the dull ache forming between her eyes. She didn't usually get headaches, but today was proving to be different. Maybe it was because of the flu.

"Sweetheart?" Mom came to the kitchen doorway with an apron cinched about her waist. "Would you get your coat? Your father would like you to step outside."

The tone, coupled with the words, put a grim knot in Abby's stomach. She had more than a little hunch she was in trouble. Not like she really needed a summons to know it. The look on Dad's face when he'd left the living room had been enough.

Getting up, Abby went to Uncle Terry's room to get her coat and shoes. She spotted the umbrella next to the dresser and took it with her, just in case the weather changed its mind and decided to dish out something heavier than a drizzle. Though this was the rainy season for Upstate New York, God seemed to be overdoing it with all the wet and gloom. Abby caught herself complaining, and moved down the hall into the living room. God never did anything by accident. Everything had a reason, even the times when it felt like there wasn't one. She'd been taught that as a child, and even now, as she put on her coat and saw Jake watching her from the recliner, she knew something good was trying to happen.

Jake nodded to the couch where Uncle Terry and Madison were watching TV, and Abby followed his gaze.

The woman was leggy in an understated, elegant kind of way, like a high-fashion runway model with beauty to spare. High cheekbones, glossy blonde hair, and translucent skin that gave her an almost regal appearance. Though she hardly acted that way. Then Abby saw what Jake must have wanted her to notice: small tears slid down that soft, delicate face and landed on Uncle Terry's sweater-- the one Uncle Terry had put on Madison.

It put a lump in Abby's throat. She remembered how gentle and kind Madison had been with Ricky, when Ricky had showed Madison his firefighter. Despite Abby's determination not to like Uncle Terry's needy person, it had touched Abby more than she cared to admit.

And now this.

Madison was crying, and deep down Abby knew why. Because she'd been impatient in her rushed judgment, not slowing down to consider the feelings of anyone besides her Uncle Terry-- not even for someone who was very likely in desperate need of help. Abby figured she probably deserved whatever Dad was waiting outside to say.

Scratch that probably. She deserved it.

Earlier, Abby had wondered if she'd caught Madison crying, but hadn't been sure. This time, there was no mistaking it. Those were tears, and Abby had no doubt they were because of her.

"Abby," Mom called from the kitchen, "your father's waiting."

"I know." Abby zipped up her coat, thought about what she should do and went over to the couch. "Madison?"

When the woman looked at her, Abby was quietly taken aback by those startled gray eyes. They held no anger, but there was so much pain, it stunned Abby. She'd done that?

"I'd like to apologize," Abby managed to get out the words while Uncle Terry watched. "I didn't mean to hurt you... maybe that's not exactly true. If you were going to turn out like Victor, then I did want you to suffer. At least a little." Abby took a deep breath and prayed Madison wouldn't keep crying. "I'm in a tough spot, and I guess, so are you. I love Uncle Terry, and before God, I'd do anything in my power to stop him from getting crushed like last time. But just because all the others wiped their feet on Uncle Terry, doesn't mean you will, too. You're here, in this house with my sisters, when none of the others got through the front door. Dad and Mom are careful, so if you've made it this far, I should have given you the benefit of the doubt."