Chapter 28: I Hate When I'm Right

[AN: Oh my goodness you are all going to hate me by the end of this chapter. I just know it. After this I am going to update some of “Breaking Your Own Heart” and finally work on updating the story on my collab account @DareToDream2010 because I have totally been slacking on both. I have too many stories right now! AHHHHHH!!!]

[KATE’S POV]

I growled as my phone buzzed again. You would think a grown woman would take the hint. I probably should have ditched my phone after I left that note at home, but I had needed it in case Sam wasn’t willing to take me in. I would have to look into changing the number. I took another bite of my cereal as Sam stumbled from the room smiling when she spotted me.

“So you’re an early riser like Nora huh?” Sam asked still yawning. I wasn’t surprised she was still tired. We had stayed up late getting to know one another. I wanted to know everything about my sister’s life. Even the hard stuff like her past. I couldn’t believe she had stayed away from me just to try and protect me. I wouldn’t let her do something like that again.

“Not normally,” I said with a nervous smile. “I –uh—had to take care of a few things.”

“Oh did your mom call or something?” Sam asked. “Do we need to drop you off anytime soon? The guys have a car service or Liam and I can take you.” My mom had been calling, but I wasn’t going back anytime soon if I could help it.

“Actually she said I could hang with you guys for the last week of the tour. She was thrilled that we have reconnected.” Sam looked at me like I had lost my mind. Oh. That’s right. Why would my mom be thrilled that I reconnected with the sister she wanted me to stay away from. “I mean, not thrilled, but excited for me. She figured she might as well let us get to know each other since we have now met and everything.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Sam said with a nod as she headed for the fridge. All right Kate! You are getting this lie thing down. Now I just had to come up with some way for her to invite me to stay with them. I wasn’t going back home. Not after my own family lied and kept me away from my sister. How could they blame one young girl for her parents’ mistakes?

“So what’s the plan for today?” I asked happily. I was looking forward to spending time with my sister. This should be fun considering she is the girlfriend of a member of One Direction. They have to do exciting stuff right?

“Well it’s an off day before we travel more,” Sam said tapping a finger to her chin. “I suppose we will just hang out and do nothing. The guys are pretty low key when they don’t have to work. Especially if we are traveling the next day.” I tried to not let my disappointment show. “Oh! If you are going with us for the rest of the tour Nora will probably want to talk with your mom.”

“Why would she want to do that?” I squeaked out. Crap. Crap. Crap. This was so not going my way.

“Because it’s Nora. She will want to make sure your mom knows you are in safe hands. That kind of thing.” I was in safe hands. My mother wouldn’t agree with that statement, but I didn’t care about her opinion anymore. Not after how she had kept me away from my only family. She deserved to lose her only daughter after what she had done.

“She really doesn’t have to call my mom.”

“Eh,” Sam said shrugging her shoulders. “We can deal with that stuff later.” Good. I breathed a sigh of relief. That would give me time to come up with a cover of some sort. “Let’s get Annie up and see if she wants to go to breakfast with everyone.”

“But I had breakfast already,” I said pointing to my now empty cereal bowl.

“If you’re related to me then you will need more than that for breakfast.” I was so preoccupied by her mentioning our family connections that it was too late before I realized she was entering Annie’s room. I had to stop her. If she found out that it wasn’t Annie in that bed everything was sure to unravel. “Chris? Why are you in Annie’s bed?” Too late.