CH 11

Jess's POV

Buzz! Buzz!

"What the fuck?" I start to shout but then I see Judith cuddled into my chest. She has her hand wrapped in my shirt and our legs are intertwined.

Buzz! Buzz!

'Why is someone at my house this early?'

I gently untangle my limbs from Judith. I walk to the intercom and reply to the Alan the day watchman.

"Yes, Alan?"

"Sorry to wake you but there is a Detective Grady who wishes to speak to you."

'Goddamn. How'd he find them? Or me? I'm always cautious and borderline paranoid when I'm out.

"Alan, listen to me clearly. This is a code yellow. Delay him for a while but don't piss him off. I need a slight head start."

The watchmen and I came up with codes specifically for situations like this. The color gives the degree of severity of the situation. Yellow is a moderate level. Black is the highest and white is the lowest.

I walk back to the couch and scoop Judith into my arms bridal style. I go down to the basement and open the panic room. I lay her gently on the bed before running up and retrieving Dame. I place him right next to his mom. I turn all the monitors on and lock the door behind me.

My panic room is like the batcave. It's massive and has all the amenities of a hotel penthouse. There's even a series of tunnels that lead

outside the mansion.

I make it to the ground level as I hear a knock on my door.

"Just a sec!" I call out. I slip my watch that has a link to all the cameras on. I spot Detective Keith Brady on the screen.

'He's devilishly handsome. Emphasis on the devil part. He looks to confident. I can't wait to take him down a peg or two.'

"Good morning, Detective." I can see him eye raping me.

'Fucking pig.'

"Good morning to you too. I have a few questions to ask you about your visit to the supermarket a few nights."

"Millionaires are regular people too, Detective. I don't know why anyone would care about my beer run."

"Please, call me Keith and don't insult my intelligence. I have you on video with a missing child."

"Hmmm. It doesn't ring a bell. I don't know any children, Detective."

"I see how you want to play this. Maybe this photo will jog your memory." He hands me a photo of Damian dragging me from the store. The photo gives no detail. If I didn't know I was there, I would think it was a woman and her child leaving a store.

"What exactly am I looking for?"

"That's you and the boy is a missing person."

"How exactly is this me? All I see is a woman and her child leaving a store. The photo isn't even in color."

"I know that's you. You never looked into a camera but I got a partial view of your plate. You know your 2004 Honda?"

"I don't even drive that car. It's at my parents house. Maybe, my mom went late night shopping."

"Then you don't mind if I take a look around."

"Actually, I would. I'm a very private person."

"I can tell. We haven't even properly entered your home. You haven't offered me any drink or anything. You're acting like a woman with something to hide."

'Oh man. He's good but I'm better.'

"What do you expect? You wake me up at a god awful hour to ask me about a missing child? Then you ask to look around my home like I'm a common criminal. So, no I won't offer you anything but the door."

"Alright. I'll remember that when I'm getting a warrant to invade your life." The bastard smirks.

"I don't see that happening. My friend the District Attorney would frown upon that. My close friend the Chief of Police may be upset to hear about you visiting my home with no reason. Should I call or text Chief Stone? I might tell him at brunch tomorrow."

'That wiped the smirk off his face. One to love in my favor. I am John McEnroe and he's a toddler.'

"I think you've over stayed tour visit, Detective. Fuck off." I open my front door and watch as Alan escorts Keith off my property.

"Why'd you do that? He's going to come back and he's gonna hurt you?" Judith fearfully whispers.

Judith's POV

I contently stretch my arms above my head. I roll to my side hoping to see Jess's face but instead I see Damien and a wall of monitors.

'Where am I?'

Damien sleeps on as I get out of bed.

'Bed? I thought I fell asleep on the couch with Jess?'

Jess must have moved us here. Where is here? Other than the wall of the monitors, the room is like a hotel suite or something.

'Hmmm. Did last night even happen? Did we kiss?'

I'm ripped from musings by the sound of the Devil. On the center monitor is my ex husband Keith.

'How did he find us? What am I going to do?'

I begin to panic and pace not once do my eyes detach from the monitor. Jess is holding her own against him.

'Good girl! She's stronger than me. And a lot stronger than I thought.'

I watch and listen as they play a game of cat and mouse. Every time Keith thinks he has the upper hand, Jess pulls the carpet from underneath him. I can't help but fall for her.

'Whoa! Pump the brakes. I'm falling for her? I admit to trusting her and she is attractive. Love? Nope not for me.'

Damn! She's in danger. Jess doesn't know it but I can see Keith losing his temper with every word she says. Jess finally bests him at the game but she's made a target of herself. She gained an enemy today because of me. I spot a microphone on the desk in front of the monitor banks.

"Why'd you do that? He's going to come back and he's gonna hurt you?" Judith fearfully whispers.

Keith's POV

'Bitch! She'll pay for that.'

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

"Brady."

"I've got your info. Meet me at Jack's diner in 15 minutes." Smit hangs up before I reply.

'Game On, Bitch!'