CH 24

Judith's POV

'Lord only knows how I slept so well. Must have been more exhausted than I thought. Maybe it was Dame. He looks so innocent so untouched from everything that's happened. On the one hand I'm happy on the other hand I have no idea the repercussions it will have on his psyche in the future. Where's Jess and Andrej?'

I get up gently replacing myself with a pillow. I don't wanna wake Dame. I see a form lying on the couch in front of the muted television. The unruly curls are a dead giveaway that it's Wesley on the couch. He looks bothered. 

"I'm up." Wesley says with closed eyes.

"I didn't mean to stare. Do you have the time? Where's Jess and Andrej?" I shoot off questions.

"It's a little past six in the morning. Andrej hasn't checked in yet. I'm not worried yet." Wesley says sitting up.

"I am. Jess was hurt before I left and it's been hours since I've left. We need to do something. Please!" 

"Calm down; you don't want to wake up your son. I'll call Andrej and see what is taking long. In the meantime, are you hungry? Would like a shower and a change of clothes?"

"Please call him. I have a feeling something is wrong." Wesley leads me back out of the room down the opposite hall of the bathroom I was in previously. We stop at a small linen closet and grab some towels, a toothbrush, toothpaste and clothes.

"Bathroom's through there. Hot water is on the right and to turn the shower on turn the middle dial all way to up. I'll leave a change of clothes outside the door." Wes says. I open the door to the sparse bathroom. There's a sink with a small mirror above it and a small but clean shower. Following Wesley's instructions, I take a shower and try to think of why we haven't heard from Jess or Andrej yet.

'Maybe they haven't gotten medical attention yet and the hospital doesn't allow cell phones? Maybe they're still dealing with Keith? I refuse to think that they're too injured to call. Andrej wouldn't let me sit here worrying myself to death. I just got to have faith.'

I step out the shower feeling cleansed from the inside out. I wrap the towel around me and leave my hair to air dry. I make quick work with the toothbrush. Wesley left me a t shirt, shorts, and canvas sneakers. I change quickly and walk back to the main room. Dame is still resting and Wesley's watching the news.

"Last night there was homicide at the home of Jessica Rikards, billionaire and humanitarian. Emergency services responded to an anonymous call around eight o'clock that night. The tipster said that shots were fired inside the residence. Upon arrival, there was one deceased man and two injured people one of which is Ms. Rikards. For privacy reasons, the police are not releasing the names of the deceased or injured individual. Ms. Rikards remains in critical condition at this time."

"No! No no no!" I wail forgetting about my sleeping son just a few feet away. Wesley kneels beside me and offers me comfort but nothing can unfreeze my heart. 

'Why?!! Why can't I find happiness? What did I do to deserve this? What did Jess do to deserve this?'

"Please, Judith. Calm yourself. I know things seem bleak but Andrej is with her. She'll pull through; Jess is so strong." Wesley's minstrations don't even faze me. The tiny pitter-patter of Dame's sockless feet slapping on the floor pulls me a bit from the abyss.

"Mama. Mama, it's fine. Uncle Drej will take care of her." Dame says as he wraps his little arms around me. How pathetic I must seem if my son has to offer me comfort.

"I want to see her. I have to see her!" I beg Wesley.

"I will as soon as you get Dame ready. We will leave."

Andrej's POV

"What is a pneumothorax?" I ask the doctor.

"It means collasped lung. When Ms. Rikards was shot, the bullet hit her lung which caused it to fill with blood. We've drained the blood by inserting a suction tube but Ms. Rikards was with limited oxygen which caused the body to stop certain actions so that important places get oxygen."

"If you did all that, why isn't she awake?"

"Her body suffered a lot of trauma. Some organs were oxygen deprived so we think her body went into a coma in order for the body to heal itself. It's for the best."

"When will she wake then?"

"Barring anymore trouble, probably within two weeks. Until then, she should remain under. She will be moved to the ICU in just a minute."

"Thanks, Doc."

"It is an honor to help Ms. Rikards." 

'Damn you Keith! If you weren't already dead I would fucking kill you, slowly. I'm sure Wes is on his way with Judith and Dame. I hate for them to see her like this.'

I take the elevator to the Intensive Care Unit. A nurse directs me to room I2. I arrive in time to see the doctor and two orderlies roll Jess into the room. As soon as they leave, I pull a chair right beside her bedside. I hold her left hand in both of mine and brush a kiss against her knuckles.

"Hey love. I'm not sure you can hear me, but I'm gonna talk anyway. I told the police that Keith was an intruder that we fought and that Jude and Dame wasn't there. Take your time getting well. I can take care of your family for a little while, I did promise I would. When you come back because you will be back, you had better marry your girl. I'm so happy that you found love; you deserve it." I say. I take a percocet for the pain in my battered ribs and lift my feet up on Jess's bed.

"I love you." I say before drifting off to sleep.

Judith's POV

When we get to the hospital, Wesley asks around for Jess's room. We find out she's in the ICU. The disinfectant smell and sterile environment reminds me of countless visits to clinics and hospitals after an "argument" with Keith. Once outside her room, I go in before Wesley and Dame. I want to make sure it isn't too traumatic for Dame. The first thing I see is a bruised and sleeping Andrej with his feet up on the bed. A crack a little smile as I hear his soft snores. Next my eyes take in the sight of my lover in the hospital bed. Jess's auburn hair looks much redder against her pale and nearly translucent skin. Her fans around her head like a halo; she looks angelic. Like a sleeping angel. She has tubes running in her nose and mouth with various leads into five machines. I walk to Andrej and rouse him from his sleep. Andrej blinks a couple of times then widens his eyes.

"Judith! How long have I been asleep?"

"I don't know. How's she?"

"You know our girl is a fighter. She's fine."

"How is she really? Tell me the truth; I can take it." Andrej sighs and stands. He offers me his seat.

"She's in a coma. Her body needs to heal. The doctor said she won't under for long, no more than two weeks or so." I thought I cried enough already but I must have reserves.

"Keith's dead, right?"

"As a doorknob." Andrej deadpans.

"She'll get through this?" I tearily ask.

"Of course! She's a fighter. I'm going to take Dame and Wes down to the caf. I'll bring you some stuff back. I've made arrangements for you to stay overnight."

"Thanks, Andrej. For everything. For saving me and her. But especially for saving our love."

"That's what family is for." Andrej winks as he enthusiastically greets Dame. I can her his squeals of joy. I resume Andrej's position.

"Hey love. I want to say thank you for giving me a helping hand, for saving me, and for loving me. I need you to fight now.. Fight for us and for our family. I'll be with you every step of the way. Our strength will get us through this. After all this ugliness is behind us, we can live like a family: you, me, Dame, Andrej and Wesley. Wesley is such a sweet kid; I can tell he had a hard life. He's lucky to have met you. I'm lucky to have met you. I love you with all my heart Jessica Rikards."