CH 25

Jess's POV (in Coma)

A stirring from next to me awakens me from my sleep.

Sleep? How'd I get to my bed? The last thing I remember is Keith, Andrej, and me in the living room on the island. How'd it end up back stateside? Who's next to me?

I turn over and see a figure lying prostrate next to me with the blankets over their head. I timidly pull back the blankets to see Judith's smiling face next to me.

"Morning, babe." Judith sleepily says. She greets me with a chaste kiss.

"Good morning, love. How'd we get here?" I answer confused.

"What are you talking about? We've always been home." Judith responds.

"Huh? I mean what happened with Keith and Andrej? Where's Dame?"

"You're scaring me, Jess. Keith died years ago, remember? Andrej lives nearby and Dame's probably on his way here. You know he can never sleep past 7 especially since the twins have been born."

"What! I'm thorughly confused. What year is it? Who are the twins? Are you even Judith Mills?" I shout as I jump out of the bed and away from the Judith imposter.

"Calm down! Why are you acting this way?" Judith yells back.

"I feel like Rip Van Winkle." I mutter as I sit wearily back on the bed where I'm quickly tackled by a little body.

"Morning, Mom." I look into the angelic face of a Dame, I think. He'd be Dame if Dame was eight years old.

"Morning, Dame?" I throw out as he gets off me.

"Who else would I be?" Dame teases. He greets Judith just as enthusiastically before flying back out the room.

"Now, I truly feel like I am Rip Van Winkle." I run to the bathroom and look at myself in the vanity. I don't look like I aged much. In fact, I look the same but with wild eyes.

"Jess. Jess, come out the bathroom. If you won't, I'll come in." Judith calls through the door. The door opens a second later.

"Jude, I need you to answer some questions for me. I know the questions might seem strange to you but humor me. Can you do that?" 

"Sure."

"Ok. What year is it? What's your name?"

"Today is January 7, 2018. My name is Judith Rikards, your loving and confused wife."

'How in the name of every form of G-d did I lose four years of my life? Wait, did she say Rikards and wife?'

"No no no no no. Who are the twins?"

"Jamie, our son, and Alexis, our daughter, are the twins. They're eight months old. What's gotten into you today?"

"Honestly? I don't know. What I do know is I'm going back to sleep. Hopefully I'll wake up in a world that makes sense." I bypass Judith and dash towards one of the spare bedrooms. I make a mistake and end up in the nursery. There is little duck trim and the walls are painted a muted yellow. There are matching mobiles over matching cribs with a changing table in between cribs. I feel lightheaded when I hear tiny whines emitting from the cribs.

'Oh shit! This is real.' The last thing I see as I faint is a portrait of the babies. They look like clones of Judith. So beautiful. 

The next time I wake, I don't know where I am. I know for sure I'm not on a bed unless the bed is made of ice. My limbs feel heavy and won't respond to my commands. Wherever I am, it's dark and freezing. I've never been claustrophobic but there's a first time for everything. My little world is rocked when a bright light blinds me and my ice bed moves. I try to move my head but to no success. Out of the corners of my eyes, I see that I'm on a sliding table of some kind. I also see gloved hands. I smell cleaners and bleach.