CH 3

Jess's POV

'Was that footsteps on the stairs? Maybe, my guests are up. What now?'

Jess walks out the room and spot her in the hallway. Once again, the shadows hide her from me.

"You don't have to creep around. I mean you and Damien no harm. I just wanna help you." Jess slowly walks toward the woman. She turns on the hall light but dims it.

"I'm not too trusting at the moment." The woman says softly.

"My name's Jessica Rikards. You're in my home. I brought you and Damien here. You asked for my help."

"Jessica Rikards? The millionaire?" The woman asks.

"Well... yeah. I go by Jess, though."

'Hopefully, she knows about all my charitable work. That should make her trust me.'

Judith's POV

'I thought Jessica Rikards was an eccentric recluse. Everyone knows that since Jessica Rikards invented the tangle-free ear buds, she hasn't been photographed or seen.'

"I find that hard to believe. She's a recluse." The woman, Jess, smirks.

"I wouldn't call myself a recluse. I'm more of a misanthrope. Also, I have ID." Jess takes a wallet out of her pocket and slides it towards me.

The wallet is a Smurf wallet and Papa Smurf adorns the front cover. Smurfette and a ton of other smurfs decorate the inside. There's money, credit cards, and a Virginia driver's license.

"Could you turn up the lights? I cant read the license." Jess walks to the wall and touches a panel which turns on the lights.

The license is issued to a Jessica Rikards. It lists her height as 5' 11" and her weight as 140. Her picture looks like the woman in front of me.

"You are her!" I look up at Jess's face. The smirk is off of her face. Instead, Jess looks angry. I toss her wallet back to her. She deftly catches without taking her eyes off my face. That's when I realize what she's staring at. The bruises. The bruises lining my face and chest.

"It's not that bad. I don't really feel bad. It's all a dull ache. Background noise, really." I quit rambling as I watch Jess stalk towards me. I walk slowly backwards and right into a wall. I feel Jess's fingers lightly graze my face.

"Why?" I don't have an answer; I don't think she expected one. She gently pulls my head to her chest and strokes my hair.

'I haven't been held in so long. This feels amazing! My luck is changing!'

"You know what? It doesn't matter because I'm gonna keep you safe. You and Damien. What's your name, love?" Jess whispers in my ear.

"My name is Judith and I would like that."

Jess's POV

'Judith. Her name is Judith.' Jess and Judith stand in the hallway for a minute.

"Where's Damien?" Judith pulls away from Jess's embrace.

'Is she blushing? I can't tell but I think she is.'

"I wasn't sure about your Good Samaritan status so I made him hide in your downstairs closet." Judith shyly finishes. Jess holds her stomach as she laughs.

"You should get him. I set up the guestroom for you two and ran a bath for you. There's first aid supplies on the bed. I'm next door if you need anything." Jess goes into her own room.

Judith's POV

I hear Jess's laugh above me as I go downstairs. It's sounds so genuine that I feel a smile tugging at my lips. I open the closet door and Damien pops out in a fighting stance.

"It's Mama, baby. We're fine here." Damien flings himself to my legs. I pat his back.

"I'm glad, Mama. I wanna sleep."

"I know, sweetie. I do too. Let's go to sleep." Today was so rough on us. I pick Damien up and carry him upstairs. I lay Damien down on the empty side of the bed. Damien falls asleep the minute his head hits the pillows. I pick up the first aid items and take them to the bathroom. A clawfoot tub is calling my name.

'This must be the bath Jess drew for me. It's still hot.' I strip out of my clothes and slip into the tub. The water feels phenomenal.

'I wish I could soak all night long.' I run my fingers across my scalp while submerged in the water. I don't feel any cuts but my head is awfully sore. I move down my body cleaning cuts and checking for broken bones. Afterwards, I give myself sometime to soak but not for to long.

I drain the tub and wrap a huge fluffy towel around me. I look in the vanity and see a more human me looking back.

'No broken bones. Just bruises and soreness. It could have been worse.' I tiredly leave the bathroom. My ankle is throbbing. I need help wrapping it but I don't want to bother Jess.

I lay my weary body on the bed without bothering to get dressed.