CH 5

Judith's POV

I watch them together as I walk in. Jess is really good with Damien. She's patient and allows him to do things himself.

'Everything I wish his father would do for him.'

"Hey, Dame! Did you make Mama some pancakes?"

"Yup!" Dame's smile is the brightest I've seen in a while.

"Thank you, baby."

"Where's my thanks, love?" Jess pouts. 'Her pout is so sexy. She's so sexy. What?! Why am I thinking of her like that?'

I must have taken to long to answer because Jess stands in front of me snapping her hands.

"Hello? Anybody home?"

"Sorry. I drifted from the subject."

"It's ok. Eat up, love. I need you both big and strong." I grab the plate from Jess's hand blushing at her endearment. Jess notices, as always, and smirks.

I perch on the seat next to Dame. I lean over and give him a quick kiss.

"Mama. I'm finished. Can I go?"

"Go where, sweetie?"

"I dunno. To watch t.v.? Please?"

"Uhhhh.." Thankfully, Jess saves me.

"Sure, little man. How about Spongebob?" I mouth thanks to Jess as she leads Dame to the living room. After a couple of seconds, I hear Patrick sceaming about wumbo. I love that episode.

I can't help but grin and think about past mornings spent watching cartoons with my son.

"He's all set in there. Eat up then tell me more about Keith." That certainly wiped the grin from my face.

"There's nothing to talk about. As soon as I'm done eating, we'll be out of your house and life."

"Whoa! What are you talking about? You can barely walk; you couldn't possibly drive. I want you two to stay. I need to know more about your situation so I can help you."

"Why do you want to help us? We won't be a charity or a publicity stunt for you." We're shouting at each other from across the kitchen island. I watch Jess's face goes pale. She stalks up to me and gets right in my face.

"You think I'm helping you because of my image? Are you a fucking nutter? Your frightened son walked up to me and dragged me to help you. Who knows where you two would be if I didn't help you last night? Face facts, Jude! You need me, I dont need you!" Her eyes might as well be engulfed in flames. Her whole body is shaking and a vein in her neck is throbbing. I cower back in my seat and brace myself for the coming blow.

"Jesus! No! I'm not gonna hit you. Shit! I'm sorry. You really hurt my feelings. Fuck! I have no excuse." She wraps her arms around me and pushes my face into her chest. Powerful sobs rack my chest and I collapse against her. I feel exhausted.

'Must be because I haven't eaten.'

"Jess? I'm sorry. I have major trust issues. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings." I pull my head from out of her chest. We lock eyes and I give her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"It's alright, Judith."