Chapter 29

I just came back from New York and after dropping my stuff at home, I went straight to surprise my girlfriend. Jasmin is up early. She said Airie paints again and I heard a few good stories about it. The only thing that cracked me up was when, in between her stories, I think I heard her mention the name Kevin.

I must have heard wrong.

She had to leave for work right away so I asked if I could just wait for Airie to wake up. Jasmin didn't argue. She just told me to make myself at home and I will.

When she finally stepped out, I help myself in one of Airie's cabinets in the kitchen. It's a habit I acquired from years of feeling 'at home'. The cupboards are empty, which is something that I can't fathom since she likes it full. She likes a variety of snacks and goodies in her cabinet so I decided to go to the nearest store to fill it up.

I ring the bell a couple of times until Airie finally opens the door for me.

"Good morning to the most beautiful woman in the world." I greet her with so much energy and a matching kiss on her temple.

"Hi..."

"Are you sick? You look a little pale." I notice right away her lack of enthusiasm to see me.

"W-What? No...No, I'm not."

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Don't worry about me." She replies weakly and clears her throat.

"I'm sorry. Did I keep you up last night? It's OK to stop thinking about me, you know." I wink at her and start laughing at my own comment while stepping inside their house. She follows me to the kitchen.

"When were you back? Why didn't you tell me? No hospital work today?" She asks three questions consecutively.

"Arrived at dawn. And nope, got no work today so I went to Peter's to buy you some things."

"You did? What did you get me?"

"Well, for one, I thought you'd like your oat meals and cereals restocked. And of course, your favorite jellies. You're running out of groceries, sweetie."

I open the drawer where she stashes her instant goodies and arrange the boxes of cereals properly inside of it. Meanwhile, Airie just stood there, watching me.

"Sweetie, you're quiet. What's up?" I stop for a second to face her and gently slide my arms on her hips. She jerks a little. "You sure you're OK?" I keep smiling and feeling giddy.

"I'm fine."

"How about we stay here, you and me... and I will make sure you won't stay quiet like that..."

Airie looks away when I went in for a peck. "Nate, I... I have my period ..."

"Shower's my thing too." I continue flirting. Then I start kissing her neck and she cringes.

"Nate, please..."

She's not in the mood. I'm a fucking idiot for not noticing right away.

"Sorry... I just miss you like crazy."

"I know. I'm just not feeling it right now. How about a movie?"

"Sure, sweetie. Anything you want. Just as long as we spend time together."

"Nate?"

"Yeah?"

"I n-need to tell you something." Her face crumples a little. It made me nervous.

"Ok. What is it? You look serious."

"Well, yeah. It's a..."

"Go ahead. What is it that you want to tell me?"

My phone rings and it didn't stop. Airie and I look at each other for a second until her eyes shift its focus and land on my pocket. I take it out because it could be something important. The caller on my screen is none other than Doctor Wilson and Doctor Wilson calling means sliding the green button.

Who am I kidding? Sliding the green button has become a habit. Period. "Hold that thought."

This has got to be the worst timing ever! I come home to hopefully fix the hole in our relationship yet all I do is keep messing it up more than I already have. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

"Baby, I am so so sorry. Doctor Wilson called up and I need to finish some papers on her charts. Damn it. I swear I wasn't working today but this is really important. Can we do this some other time?"

She pauses for a moment and looks weirdly relieved. "Of course. Do what you have to do. You know where to find me."

"Ok. I'm really sorry. But I love you. Only you." I kiss her cheek and left quickly.

In the middle of the road, I notice my envelop missing. It contains the signed papers from my cases in New York that I have to submit to Sacred Heart. I pulled over and check inside the car only to realize I left it at Airie's. I made a U-turn to the next cross road back to their place.

After pressing the bell six times over, Airie comes running to answer the door.

"Oh. Hi..." is all she manages to say. Did she just shower?

"Seems like God sent angels to pull you off of bed. You look beautiful by the way and you smell nice, too." I actually am shock to see the sudden change in her mood.

"I was... ahm...I was hoping that you might change your mind."

"Oh. I'm sorry, babe. I left my envelope in your kitchen so I drove back to get it." I explain apologetically.

"Of course. Yeah. I'll go get it for you." Airie runs to the kitchen and grabs the envelope for me. "Here." She hands me the yellow envelop and scratches her head.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I feel guilty for putting her in this situation. "Sweetie..."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for making yourself beautiful for me. You don't have to. I love you, in skirts or witch costume." Then I smile at her but she only responded with a lost and poor puppy eyes. "I have to go now."

"I'll see you soon." I can barely hear her voice.

I press my lips on hers and hurried back to my car. "You're the best. I love you."