Chapter 28

A week has passed and I'm still trying to convince every cell of my body not to sneak around to get some proof of Airie's infidelity, if there's any.

The nagging worry inside my head stayed for quite some time. My mind is digging clues unstoppably to put the pieces together and make an essential decision to go in pursuit of knowing and going beyond just feelings or hunch. Doctor Philip is discussing Biochemistry while I was out of myself. She's the youngest attending in this hospital and she's brunette. Doctor Wilson recommended her to be her substitute while she's on personal leave.

"Dr. Miller. Dr. Miller."

"Dude, she's called you twice." One of my colleagues taps my shoulder.

"What?" I figured I wasn't listening at all and her eyes glare at me like a fox ready to attack its prey.

"Dr. Miller, am I not interesting enough for you?" She asks as she makes an approach. "I truly dislike big heads, just-assisted-a-cool-operation guys like you, who thinks that they're instantly untouchable."

I tried to explain myself but couldn't.

"I'm serious about what I do and why I do it. So if you are as passionate as you say you are, then get your head back in the game."

I couldn't find any convincing alibi to cover up my lack of attention to class. This lady doctor just keeps pressing it. She's exactly like Doctor Wilson, only she's too young and really pretty. She's right though, my head is not in the game. I'm going overboard with paranoia over some minuscule margin of unexplained instinct.

"Dr. Philip..." I stand to make my presence known.

"What now?" She replies, cutting her lecture.

"Can I leave?" Everyone looks at me as if I just said something stupid. Oh, wait. I did. "I'm sorry but you're right, I'm definitely out of my game today. And I feel like I'm going to be like this the whole time. I don't want to insult you or your class. Can I leave?" I explain, trying to be as honest as I could.

She pauses for a second and blinks her eyes once. "That's a good idea. I appreciate your sincerity, Dr. Miller. Leave now and I hope you find what you're looking for today. JUST today." She emphasizes. "Tomorrow, you're doing ALL of my charts. You get that?"

I'm glad that she agreed but so did everybody else in the class. They all get the free time they are spending tomorrow because of me. "Got it. Loud and clear, ma'am."

"What's bothering you? Are you ok?"

"Sure." I swallow the lump on my throat. "I don't know." I tell my father and he exhales forcefully.

"What do you mean you don't know? You're all over the place. You've been very quiet the past few days after the surgery. You're sinking in your own thoughts, doing less than you have to. You haven't taken any food or coffee since this morning. And god, you look awful. Did you even shower?"

"Of course, I did. I just..."

"You just what? Stop making me guess." He snaps at me.

If not hypothetical, I envy my friend, Julio (a self-proclaimed contented single who believes that passionate outpour of emotion) ...sucks.

Fortunately for me, cupid has been nice. At least, after having fallen out of love more times than falling into it, the whole deal changed with Airie.

She's the woman I was totally crazy over, crazy in more ways than one. She is sweet and delicate, highly-talented with a face that lights up a man's day. I was the guy who was a pure-study, nerdy, and shy as door mouse except, she liked me. Love me.

I got the girl.

She completely succeeded in lifting my faith to the "L" word. Frankly, I wouldn't have believed in all the quotes of the book "The Notebook", or the last ten minutes of "50 First Dates".

Somehow, she made me.

Asshole --- That's what I am. For being so insanely jealous of my girlfriend and that guy. Who is he again? Kevin. Yeah. Him. But I have the right to, don't I? Imagining them together makes me so mad I want to literally smash that guy's face, fucking pick him up and throw him down again. Maybe she's really not cheating on me. Maybe she just wanted some company. I hear that.

But not with him.

His intentions are clear. He wants my girl. I can tell by the way he looks at her. It's like he wants to fucking rip her clothes off. That sneaky little motherfucker!!!