Chapter 12

~ Carlisle Cullen ~

------------- Chapter 12 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edward's POV)

It's been a week! Nessie and Jake are a complete mess. They haven't been able to compose themselves enough to even go to school. Carlisle told the school that the both of them are down with measles.

"Edward, he still isn't back," Bella murmurs, her exquisite face downcast. I take her in my arms and she curls up on my lap, her head resting on my chest. "Edward, we have to do something! You've seen what losing Henry has done to our family," she continues, and I nod sombrely. She's right. Everyone's been down and grouchy ever since Henry left.

Nessie and Jake are basically catatonic. They are comforting each other though, so thank the maker for that!

"Do you think he'll come back?" Bella asks, her beautiful voice, agonised.

"I don't know, Bella. Henry...is as stubborn as the both of us combined. Once he's made up his mind, it takes a lot for him to change it." I murmur, trying to comfort her, but not able to tell her a lie.

The chase was the worst part! Knowing that we would be too late, knowing that he's fast enough to outrun us, and smart enough to lose us. And when we got to the shore, his scent disappearing...it was torturous! Nessie jumped into the water, determined to swim after him. It took both Bella and Rose to hold her down. Jake and I dived in, but we couldn't pick up the scent. He was gone. That's it.

We weren't fast enough.

I was not fast enough!

All of a sudden, Carlisle bursts into the living room, a huge grin on his face. "Edward, you will never guess what I just found out!"

"What?! Have you found Henry?" my mind races ahead, trying to figure out where Henry would run to.

The moment everyone hears the name Henry, they immediately rush into the room, and Carlisle's smile just gets bigger, looking at all of our eager faces.

"I haven't just found, Henry, he actually called the house."

"He did?! And he didn't talk to me?!" Nessie cries, clearly distraught. Jake, Bella and I quickly proceed to comfort her, while she begins sobbing.

"It's alright, Nessie. He's still on the line. He wants to talk to you," Carlisle continues, obviously a little upset that Nessie is sobbing, he's very fond of her.

"Where is he calling from?" Alice demands, she's missed her life-size Ken doll, as much as the rest of us.

"This is the part that is the most shocking; Henry is calling from Alaska. He's with the Denali clan. He remembered us talking about them, and decided to go meet them and introduce himself."

We stare open mouthed for a few long moments, trying to absorb this. Henry is in Denali?! And he's only calling now?!

I dash into Carlisle's office, grab his hands-free phone and bring it to the living room, and push the loudspeaker button.

"Henry?"

"Edward?" his crackly voice greets, putting a smile on my face.

"Yes, it's me. The rest of the family is here too. You are on loud-speaker, Hen," I clear up, wanting him to know.

"Mum? Dad? Everyone...I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have run off like that. Tanya made me see that. I'm so sorry! Could you ever forgive me?"

"Of course, Hen! Just come home!" Rose calls, her voice strained. As much as she loved Nessie, she loves Henry even more!